Questions on boat sonar, Lowrance,simrad,ray marine

muskyhart

Hi: looking to put new sonar in the boat. I have been looking at the lowrance generation 2 ,the Simrad MSS 7,8, or 12, and just stared to look at the raymarine stuff.

Here is how I see it,

The lowrance has: 2 SD card slots (more room to play with and for the Stru. mapping)

Side and down scan with the purchase of the extra transducer

And second box, the same goes for simrad, (exactly same equipment,

Made by lowrance for both simrad and lowance finders)

Lowrance has structure mapping

I think the lowrance has a plastic screen

The Simrad has: the touch screen (which looks way faster to navigate around)

Only one SD. Card slot

Does not have structure Mapping (But does have touch way points Even under water touch way points)

The screen is supposed to be brighter and faster?

And to my understanding the Simrad has more boating features

That is able to be added when you want to

So any help in choosing one of these would be great.

One final note, heard someone saying that there will be a new Structure Scan (LSS 1 )Vs. (LSS 2 H D) Coming out for lowrance only!! In the next few month anyone read this.

Also that the structure mapping will shortly be available in the simrad stuff to

thanks!!

Both are solid units, the Simrads are faster, brighter and do have a touch screen. I've played with them a bit and more recently yesterday @ the London show in Angling Outfitters booth.

One thing to consider regarding the Simrads since it is a touch screen like your iPhone or Blackberry Torch is they don't work all that well when your fingers are wet/clammy. So if you don't have a hardtop boat and it's raining out and the screen is getting wet I would expect less than optimal or even frustrating performance. Also try to imagine moving the screen around while your running in a chop and your finger is bouncing on/off the screen.

Just something to consider, hope this helps.

Cheers G.

Edited by Gman