Spring Walleye Where

Gord

Our annual trip every year is Big Gull Lake the first week in June. Lake is 85% crown-land. Not lots of fish , you have to work for them. We stay at Kirk Kove Cottages. Not fancy, but we like it. Check out there site. There pictures have a few of our group shots. Take lots of worms and jigs.

Not sure weither you had just on of those two in mind, but my wife and I fished esnagami lodge out of nakina, great food good living accomadationm great hosts eric lund and cant remember his wifes name edna or somthing there young with kids there. But we went mid to late summer, All the walleye you could handle, I would not stop the boat until we had a double header, back trolling wormharnesses. The guide said it was the slow time of the year, he said to come in the spring if I wanted hot action. If I were planning a spring trip, I would not hesitate to go back. A little expensive, but worth it IMO.

Our annual trip every year is Big Gull Lake the first week in June. Lake is 85% crown-land. Not lots of fish , you have to work for them. We stay at Kirk Kove Cottages. Not fancy, but we like it. Check out there site. There pictures have a few of our group shots. Take lots of worms and jigs.

HEY, another great farm report..... :clapping:

We went to Kirk Kove Cottages for several years....did real well some years on good size walleye and pike....place is a little different when the new owners took over....I think he's a tree hugger in disguise....

We haven't been there in quite a while but must of went there for 6-7 years straight. 1st or 2nd week of July is when we went. The first year we had cottage #7 and the rest of the time we had #2 on the point.

Bob

HEY, another great farm report..... :clapping:

We went to Kirk Kove Cottages for several years....did real well some years on good size walleye and pike....place is a little different when the new owners took over....I think he's a tree hugger in disguise....

We haven't been there in quite a while but must of went there for 6-7 years straight. 1st or 2nd week of July is when we went. The first year we had cottage #7 and the rest of the time we had #2 on the point.

Bob

We finally got the big duplex Billy for this year 4A&4B. I think I've been in most of their cottages. The one we mostly got was across from the office, the older duplex. We have 8 guys in our group. I could do this trip every month because we have such a great time. We used to have 6 in our group but has increased to 8 now. Picture below was the first few years there.

1000714jh.jpg

Farmer.....so facing the water from the launch....is your cottage to the left or right....I know there are some huge doubles way off to the right.

To the right Billy, The one with the Public phone at the side.

I'm taking the picture

dscn0748gt.jpg

This was another group with us but they had 2 cottages at the end of camp.

Taking a refreshment brake from fishing, discussing our afternoon plans :whistling:

dscn0754y.jpg

16 guys total last year. This year we have the big duplex half way down the camp.

Bring back memories Billy :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

My group always went to gull lake the 1st week in june. It's been 4 years since I've been up there and the last few years we were there the fishing has gone down hill quite a bit. Dad started taking us there in the early 60s so I remember the really good fishing though I was to young to really do alot of it. We always stayed at bayview cxabins on the shallow end, but I've stayed at cuddy's and glen haven cottages also.I know that lake well and love to fish it but the numbers and size just aren't there any more unless something has changed.

I REALLY like the owners before these present owners....can't remember their names but they were a older couple that just left you alone for the week.....and they also provided you with all the firewood you wanted FREE.

These new owners have tried to convert a old fishing spot into a tree hugging, paint the butterflies, etc friendly resort....but that didn't seem to take hold and now they realized if they are going to survive they have to cater to the old grungy fishermen who pay the bills...

The first year the new owners took over I was heading over to the fish cleaning hut with a stringer of walleye and pike....He (owner) stopped me and said I had a LOT of fish there....it wasn't even close to our limit, yet I was being lectured by this greenhorn that couldn't tell a walleye from a musky...

They also started to charge for firewood....they had a five gallon buckets full of GREEN wood for "only" $5 per bucket... :rolleyes: ...you couldn't get that stuff to burn with a blow torch.

Prices also started to slowly climb...but still a pretty good deal...

New owners also wanted to open a restaurant on that building that overhangs the water near the launch....until they found out they couldn't get a permit from the government to do so.... :wallbash: ....last I heard they were having a cater bring in food for certain events though...

But the old owners were the best.....at the end of the week I would go into the office and tell them I took so many bags of ice and so many tanks of gasoline and settle up my bill while leaving a deposit for next year and leave in the morning....

They (Jim&Clair) do run a tight ship and as you say they do watch how many fish are taken. Sometime that's a good thing. They seem to like us, he comes by and shots the crap every day. Fishing does change from year to year, you have to find them,thats what makes it challenging fun. One time their in the shallows,next deep. Price and their slot limit makes us keep going there. Plus when we go, the lake is quiet. 1st week of June, not many people.