An American (Canadian Citizen) bringing his boat to Canada

fishnsled

I've got a buddy who lives in Nevada and recently bought a summer home (cottage) here in Ontario. He is planning on bringing his boat up and leaving it here and was wondering the following.

Are there any concerns for me bringing the boat across the border with the intention of leaving it here? Assume I'll need register it and get a canadian boat license number for it?

I personally don't have a clue but thought some one here might know what he has to do and/or who he would need to contact ahead of time. The plan is to bring the boat up in June and wants to be prepared when crossing the border. Thanks for your input.

Edited by fishnsled

I don't see how he's going to register anything without being a resident of the Province. I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

That was my thought as well but maybe having a summer residence? I should have also stated that he is a Canadian who now lives in Nevada, that might make a difference. He still is legally a Canadian.

I don't see why he would want to register it in Ontario......he should register it in the State he resides in....much easier and then someday when he wants to bring it back home for whatever reason and or sell it he wouldn't have a hard time explaining the Ontario registration to EVERYONE....

But anyways....since he will be leaving it for more then 45 days he will need a boating license....I believe they are still available on the internet...you pay something like $50 and answer a few questions and print out the miniature copy until they send you your real one 30-300 days later...

I would keep it as registered. Customs inspector may ask if the boat is returning to the States though if they do then just answer yes! I think that it will be a smaller and less frustrating can of worms to open then the hastles of registering it here.

But that's only my opinion, best to enquire with customs. But I think that is their main concern, if he is bringing it up here to sell or if it is going to become a permanent fixture. Isn't his tow vehicle registered in the States? Same thing is't it?

I believe that there are a lot of Canadian registered RV's and boats that made their way to Florida and then get stored down there over the summer for use next winter, same sort of thing...right?

I had an aunt and uncle who had moved to the States and were still classed as Canadian citizens, whenever he towed a house trailer behind him the customs inspector always asked if that trailer also had Indiana plates on it, that was all. But then that was back in the seventies.

Edited by pikehunter

The rule goes something like you can only use your USA registered boat in Canada for 45 days... but if I look around our lake and all the pigeon holes at the marina, many have been here for decades registered in Ohio, Michigan and the likes. Gets them out of needing a boaters card, meeting our safety regs, etc. I sure wouldn't be reregistering it if I was him.

Thanks for the input Wayne.

Missed the Canadian citizen thing... but if he's strictly using a US drivers licence.. ID etc and is using a Non ontario citizen fishing licence he's golden. Now if he pops out an Ontario Outdoors card and a resident fishing licence... :whistling:

Missed the Canadian citizen thing... but if he's strictly using a US drivers licence.. ID etc and is using a Non ontario citizen fishing licence he's golden. Now if he pops out an Ontario Outdoors card and a resident fishing licence... :whistling:

I believe he bought/buys a Non Ontario License. His card was different from mine, all green if I remember correctly.

Edited by fishnsled