Now That's A Laker!!!

DRIFTER_016

The pic with (I believe that to be Craig Blackie, Phd in char guy) the laker you posted Dave... that fish I thought was a Deline netted fish. So, if they're one in the same fish (pic and article) that's cool to now be clarified.

The "sagginess" of the fish... well, my guess is it was either frozen before and thawed, or it spent a little too long in the net or out to rot and soften. I remember getting some arctic char that had been in the net awhile and then frozen, when I thawed it out the skin of the fish looked kinda like that... and the soft flesh saggy and only good for chowder.

GREAT fish. Agreed with Luke... I think they're something like 20 years to 20 inches in those northern climes, and then a 1/2 inch per year on average until reaching max.... not sure though. Some lakers up there do make the 100 year mark. It's absolutely great to see that fish came from Slave. One can only imagine how much of that waterbody never sees anglers.

The pic with (I believe that to be Craig Blackie, Phd in char guy) the laker you posted Dave... that fish I thought was a Deline netted fish. So, if they're one in the same fish (pic and article) that's cool to now be clarified.

The "sagginess" of the fish... well, my guess is it was either frozen before and thawed, or it spent a little too long in the net or out to rot and soften. I remember getting some arctic char that had been in the net awhile and then frozen, when I thawed it out the skin of the fish looked kinda like that... and the soft flesh saggy and only good for chowder.

GREAT fish. Agreed with Luke... I think they're something like 20 years to 20 inches in those northern climes, and then a 1/2 inch per year on average until reaching max.... not sure though. Some lakers up there do make the 100 year mark. It's absolutely great to see that fish came from Slave. One can only imagine how much of that waterbody never sees anglers.

Yes, it's Craig.

The picture was taken in the Hay River enr office.

The one netted in Deline is still in the freezer up there last I heard.

83# Laker

north-big-fish.jpg