bottom end over winter.....

BLACKFISH88

Went out and had a look at my boat and it looks as if oil has leaked from the fill screw in the bottom end is this bad I'm worried there was alot of pressure in there and it may have done more damage just wondering if anyone has had this happen before? When we checked the oil in fall it was fine didn't put fresh oil in got lazy and it was not really winterized. It was left to someone else who after I had called a marina and had got a price of a measly 60 bux to do . He said dont worry I'll do it, no excuse but damn I hope it's gonna be alright.

Guest gbfisher

more than likely caused by water in yer case. You may need a new oil seal now that it has froze and tha fact that there was water in it from last season. No real big deal though. Just cost you a few bucks to get it fixed.

ya oil looked fine it wasnt white in the fall. was hoping that it was maybe just the seal around the screw itself where is the seal that you mentioned located on the prop? If there was water in there now it should still be in there if its thawed correct?or no? casting looked fine only oil was from fill screw

Edited by BLACKFISH88

It could be that the gasket or o-ring around the fill screw is leaking. If that is the case no big deal. Is the oil milky in color? If so and the boat was stored exposed to weather you might have a damaged lower unit casting and that can be a big deal.

If the oil came out of the bottom oil fill hole its probably OK. Water is heavier than the oil so if it was oil that came out thats OK. Likely just a bad oil fill gasket. Large amounts of water will crack or deform the case.

Ok guys thanks for the help had a friend told me when he saw it to not worry it was just the o ring around screw but I've seen guys have problems with bottom ends firsthand and know that it can be costly repairing. So I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. if anyone else thinks different continue replying by all means.