Old Dog, Old tricks.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

After getting rain we've waited for all fall, I went chasing optimum flows on Sunday. I went and fished a favourite trib and upon arriving it looked amazing. Nice and high but dropping, nice colour but clearing, everything was perfect. Except for the fish that is! For hours I methodically worked the stretch of river without a single take.

Inspired by solo's recent spinning gear steelheadin' I actually brought a small spinning rod just to play with in case the fish weren't on! GOOD IDEA!

Flows were high enough and dirty enough that the fish perhaps weren't yet in the river, but they sure were in the lentic area around the mouth. There's something thrilling about a strike in perfectly clear water, 3 feet away from where you're standing. The water was so clear in fact that I could actually see fish swiping at my spinner as I was retrieving. Inspired by my success my buddy threw his float rod down on the bank and begun casting a small spinner as well. Literally his first cast in a backwater pool resulted in a beautiful chrome steelhead.

Unfortunately, the 3rd member of our party didn't bring a spinning rod (and was too proud to borrow mine). He floated the river and out the mouth in vain while my chum and I caught fish on bass rods.

It goes to show that all the fancy gear in the world won't catch anything when all the fish want is a #3 Black Fury.

HAHA! That's awesome.

I've been fishing hardware for steelhead my whole life but this fall I dedicated myself to getting really good at it.

So far it's been a revelation. Deadly technique in your arsenal and so much more than just chucking out a spinner and reeling it in. There are little subtleties involved that make a world of difference.

So what yer saying is,I have been caught up in the float rod/reel stuff? Spend many a wasted dollars? I could of stuck with my card 3 and hell bender from the earlly 80,s, and still catch fish in the rivers? LOL

Nice going doc.

Edited by Misfish

So what yer saying is,I have been caught up in the float rod/reel stuff? Spend many a wasted dollars? I could of stuck with my card 3 and hell bender from the earlly 80,s, and still catch fish in the rivers? LOL

Nice going doc.

No, but 90% of the guys on the river are one trick ponies.

Floatfishing is deadly as well as fun but being versatile separates you from the pack.

I don't own a float rod so I do what I can with my spinning gear. If they aren't going for pink bubblegum worms or the real thing I often switch it up to spinners.

There's nothing like thinking you've snagged a rock only to find out your spinner just got hit hard by a hungry steelhead.