Line combos

SirWhite

I'm sure its been discussed, at length, but I'm making the switch from mono to braid and am wondering what do I use for a leader? Flouro or mono? I fish Bass and Walleye and incidental Muskie's.

Do I go braid to flouro to steel leader when fishing for the toothed beasts?

Again I'm sure its been discussed so even a link to the thread would be great!

Thanks in advance!

For musky I use 80 pound braid and sometimes use a 100 to 135 pound fluorocarbon leader, but not always. With bucktails or spinnerbaits I don't think I need a leader, but with jerk and glide baits it can't hurt. The leader is more for bite-off protection in my mind.

I don't fish for walleye.

For crappie and bass I use 10 to 15 pound braid with and without a leader for Senko's on a spinning rods. I don't think the fish care, but if the bite is tough I might try a light fluoro leader.

For all other bass lures I use casting rods. With cranks and spinnerbaits I use straight 20 pound fluoro for deeper baits but mono or 30 pound braid for anything that is staying in the top few feet of water. If the bait is moving I don't think you need a leader.

I fish for pike in the Spring with my heavy bass gear and use the braid and mono mentioned above...I use mostly Husky Jerks and never use straight fluoro or fluoro leaders with them because I feel it sinks on the pause and kill the baits action.

For T-rigged worms and Carolina rigs etc. I use 30 pound braid or 20 pound mono with about a 5 to 10 ft, 12 pound mono leader because I want to keep the bait off the bottom.

For top waters, solid toads and hollow frogs I use 20 pound mono because the braid is too limp. This heavy mono's stiffness helps to keep the bait from running over the slack line.

Garry2R's