GPS Chip for ON

Stein

Does anyone know of ANY GPS chip that covers the Winnipeg River area around Minaki? Any detail would be better than nothing. I haven't been able to find anything. Buying a new GPS plotter this year, most likely a Lowrance 520c and would like to have a map of this area for our September trip.

Thanks,

Stein

Stein I had the same problem last year, I fish the French River and there was no depth contour charts available. In talking to my local dealer he set me up with a topo chip. At least with this I could tell the above water contours while sitting at the dock and look for points heading into the water etc. and decide which area I was going to fish. Not perfect but it helped.

Taper, one thing I am considering doing is the following that I got from another board. It would allow me to waypoint humps, etc. that aren't visible. It may help you also. I can take scans of the Canadian Hydrographic maps that I have and use them. Here is a Copy and Paste of what he did:

I had a great old paper map, and thought there has to be a better way than riding around with a map on your lap, looking for that hump that you want.

One day while playing around with Google Earth, I found a button where you could overlay images onto it.

I scanned my paper map in sections, then using Adode Photoshop,pieced it back together, erased everything outside of the lakes banks, converted it to a GIF image for transparency, then saved it on my computer.

Then it's simply a matter of importing it to Google Earth and lining it up with the satellite image. I was suprised when it fit perfectly.

I could then run my mouse across the screen, hover over whatever I wanted, and get the GPS coords for it, and enter them into my GPS manually.

It actually worked better than I thought it would, and alot easier than riding around with a map in your lap.