Amazing quote from windsor police chief

jedimaster

You go up to Northern Ontario and west of our province and you will find that most firearm owners DID NOT REGISTER all of their firearms. It was a huge boondoggle that cost us over $1billion, I believe the original number we were given was $11million. Just a bit of a difference. Like E-Health.

I'm no redneck but long guns here esp. in the north are very common and useful tools for feeding your family. Handguns are a different story, other than some .22s used for target shooting, most handguns out there are designed with one thing in mind, KILLING PEOPLE. Handguns are strictly controlled, there are quite a few hoops involved with getting an RPAL as there should be. The licensing system does what it is supposed to, have some control over who gets legal access to firearms and ammunition, though up north, they don't tend to ask for your PAL when you go to a nameless big box store to buy a brick of .22 for plinking.

Police like the control factor in knowing who exactly is a legal gun owner. I can understand to an extent that they love the registry esp. when serving a warrant or going into a domestic dispute. Unfortunately, Police abuse their powers when they get them, ie G20, what a friggin' mess. It is a slippery slope when giving police a lot of power, they get too much, you can end up with a Police State that is paranoid and everyone gets their papers checked multiple times per day. I have an aunt who lives in Russia (long story), she could not believe that when she was here that the police left you alone (in the mid '80s before the end of the Cold War). This is why we have a system that has a few checks and balances. The Long Gun registry was created as a knee jerk reaction to the killings in Montreal and other occurences elsewhere. It did absolutely nothing but trample on innocent people's civil rights. How many criminals out there did the right thing and went to register their illegally obtained weapons???? I'd love to see that number. We talk a lot here about the US and the amount of weaponry there is available down there, we have to realize that The Right To Bear Arms is yet another check and balance for the government. The USA was born out of revolution and it recognizes that the government could be overthrown at any time by the citizenry.

I can rant on for days on this issue, thankfully stick a fork in the registry, it is just about done.