Steelhead and Brown Trout 101

fish_finder

Being that fall is here, and soon enough the pesky salmon will be done their thing, I though I might share a few videos we put together to help get the newer fly anglers set for the runs of Brown trout and Rainbow trout on the tribs.We put this together about a year ago to help some of the newer fly anglers in their pursuits for great lakes steelhead and brown trout. This collection of videos should help you get started.

We’re lucky to have such great spawning runs of migratory trout in this area, and we should all take advantage of the extended seasons we have in the fall, as well as taking advantage of spring time runs of migratory rainbows once the regular trout season has opened.

great-lakes-brown-trout-steelhead.png

Fly Rod Selection – Selecting the right Fly Fishing Rod for great lakes steelhead, salmon and migratory brown trout.

Terminal Tackle – What you should be sure to have in your vest when targeting great lakes steelhead. Everything from strike indicators to split shot are covered here.

Indicator Setup for Great Lakes Steelhead – Two highly effective steelhead fly fishing indicator setups.

Best Flies for Great Lakes Steelhead- An excellent assortment of flies that should be in every great lakes steelheaders fly box.

Egg Fly Materials for Steelhead and Brown Trout – Covering different materials to use when tying up different egg fly patterns for great lakes steelhead and migratory brown trout.

If anyone has questions about any of the videos, feel free to ask, I'm all ears!

Also, don't forget about the Grand River Spey Clave coming up on October 15th. Details are posted in the Announcements section here

timbow1.gif

Man, there is so much to learn! I've caught these on YouTube before, and learned a lot, but after trying some things out on the Grand in Caledonia (with no luck) I was going to go back and re-watch them. Thanks for putting them all in one place for me to find! Got a trip up to Bayfield planned in 2 weeks, maybe I'll have some better luck there. Thanks again!

I have done some fly fishing for specks and a little for Atlantic salmon. The 'terminal tackle' , and therfore the casting technique, is quite different from what's shown on the video clips. For specks and Atlantics flies are used to try to get the fish to rise to the fly, rather than bringing the fly to the fish as shown. Given the limits that the sinkers and float put on the casting technique when using a fly rod, would it maybe be better to use the fly, sinkers and float with a float reel or spinning reel?thx

I have done some fly fishing for specks and a little for Atlantic salmon. The 'terminal tackle' , and therfore the casting technique, is quite different from what's shown on the video clips. For specks and Atlantics flies are used to try to get the fish to rise to the fly, rather than bringing the fly to the fish as shown. Given the limits that the sinkers and float put on the casting technique when using a fly rod, would it maybe be better to use the fly, sinkers and float with a float reel or spinning reel?thx

Casting a weighted rig compared to just a dry fly or nymph is completely different but that is the beauty about fly fishing is that you never stop learning. There is so many different casting techniques to learn and they were all formed because people had to adapt to different situations. When your casting a weighted rig you are not doing your standard false cast because you would end up either hooking yourself or knocking yourself out. If you are interested in learning how to cast a weighted rig or different techniques for different situations, I would suggest searching it on youtube. Youtube has helped me a ton because there are a ton of casting videos on there to help you out. Also like Fishfinder said, head down to the speyclave and talk to the instructors down there, you will be surprised what you can learn in just a few hours.

Swany