NF... Scent scrapes

bucktail

Wondering if anyone out there has used any of the scrape drip products out there to bring any bucks in.

Im trying to keep a good buck in the area but there is so many food sources around its impossible , so I thought this might be an idea.

Any experience out there?

Darren

Darren, this is just my opinion.

I think those big boys have there minds set, they feed were the best source is and travel the same routes to and from these areas. I don't think you can change their minds before and after the rut.

I chased a big boy for 3 years. I could follow his routine to a T almost. But he always moved through the area at dark. Until one day he was delayed and in rut.

The only time I could call or pull him off his route with scent was around the rut. I call it "pee brain" time. They are so focused on chasing does they lose most of their wits. Similair to most men after a 12 pack. :)

To answer your orginal question, before and after rut I try to keep things a natural as possible and simply ambush them on their usual paths. I am weary about spooking them when they have all their wits by using scents and making noise.

Just My experience for what it's worth.

Edited by Harrison

Normally we just try and figure out where they walk and sit quiet. This year. I cleared out some bush and put up a trail cam, put down some mineral stuff, and a few bags of corn. I am gonna go back up, maybe this weekend and drop more corn or msomething down and see how it goes. Hopefully I can get my hands on some cheap apples to take up as well.

And to answer your question - I tend to agree with the other posters so far. Adding some scent isn't going to change his habits. There are so many scrapes (real and mock) throughout his area that one extra isn't likely to change his habits, especially when so many of the other ones will have fresher scents to temp him. Your best bet with scents is that it might make him pause for an extra little while within reach of your boom stick.