grand river brown trout

northernpike56

Hey guys, I was thinking of going to port maitland earlier today, but my buddy suggusted I try the grand river right below belwood lake to try and catch some brown trout before the season closes. He said that a lot of the river below the dam and into fergus is catch & release, you can't use live bait, and all lures have to be single barbless hooks. I think I will start at the dam and work my way downstream ( maybe 1 - 2 km).

So, my questions for you guys are Is that portion of the river C&R with no live bait, barbless hooks, etc. or is it just normal regs?

My second question is what other types of fish are found below the dam? I have fished directly below the dam before and caught a brown trout, a few pike, a few bass, and a tonne of bullheads. A guy once told me that there was walleye and perch below the dam but I have yet to catch one...

My third question is what types of lures should I be using? The water looks pretty muddy in most parts so would I be best off using lures like spinners that create vibration or could spoons and plugs work too? I have the whole assortment of lures in my tackle box but no idea what to be bringing.

Any feedback would help me out so much as I have put In lots of hours there with not too much to show for it.

Thanks in advance

Matt.

best suggestion is grab a copy of the regs from your local tackle shop and keep it in your tackle. you can also find the regs online here

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/Publication/STEL02_163615.html

as for lures spinners are a great choice because many species will hit them just remember to swich to a single hook and pinch the barb if those rules apply to that area.

I happened to have the regs nearby but they are complicated in that area, but it sounds like normal regs in the gorge area. I'm not too sure where the Bissel dam is but I understand it's upstream from the gorge. The special restrictions apply again downstream of 'a bridge located at the southern boundary of the Elora Gorge Cons area"

Hey guys, I was thinking of going to port maitland earlier today, but my buddy suggusted I try the grand river right below belwood lake to try and catch some brown trout before the season closes. He said that a lot of the river below the dam and into fergus is catch & release, you can't use live bait, and all lures have to be single barbless hooks. I think I will start at the dam and work my way downstream ( maybe 1 - 2 km).

So, my questions for you guys are Is that portion of the river C&R with no live bait, barbless hooks, etc. or is it just normal regs?

Special Regs Zone as you mention

My second question is what other types of fish are found below the dam? I have fished directly below the dam before and caught a brown trout, a few pike, a few bass, and a tonne of bullheads. A guy once told me that there was walleye and perch below the dam but I have yet to catch one...

Mainly Browns (tons of Carp if your into that)

My third question is what types of lures should I be using? The water looks pretty muddy in most parts so would I be best off using lures like spinners that create vibration or could spoons and plugs work too? I have the whole assortment of lures in my tackle box but no idea what to be bringing.

Typical small trout lures - most fly-fish that area (carrying purses of 'micro-lures' catching 8 inchers - sorry, couldn't help it) but any small spinners or even rapala style would work (just be sure you are only using SINGLE BARBLESS)

Any feedback would help me out so much as I have put In lots of hours there with not too much to show for it.

Watch the water levels coming from the Dam on the Grand River Conservation Authority website - depending on dam releases river can become unfishable very quickly (I have been burned for not checking...)

Thanks in advance

Matt.