Interested but not hooked

Parisite

Was out casting flies this morning with only a little success. I was using mostly subsurface flies (pheasant tail, hare's ear, wooly worm, etc.)

It seemed like I had found the right patterns but I noticed the fish were darting towards the fly as if they were going to take it and just before their nose was at the fly they would turn away. It looked almost like they were swatting it with their tails as they turned. After two or three fish turned on it the action in that pool would stop.

The water was clearer than normal. I usually don't see this - usually see a flash of silver or gold, feel the take and set the hook.

Anyone seeing the same thing?

Did you chnage or stop your retrive just as the fish was about to hit? Can sometimes be hard to stop yourself as you see him closing in!

Otherwise they're seeing your fly, heading over ofr a look and deciding against it - try changing to something smaller in the same pattern or flip a few rocks over and see what's underneath to try and match it.

BTW - Are we talking about trout here?

Sounds like the flies look like what they want from a distance, but upon closer inspection they realize NOPE! I thought I was getting interested fish on a stream...lots of lookers....until someone handed me what they were hitting...even little 6 inchers were hitting like a ton of bricks, and that was with a 7-8wt.

Sounds like it was a case of close but no cigar - it seems to be micro fly season at the moment, last time out I was catching on small (size 16) Scuds like this (not exactly but this kind of thing)....

18.jpg

They'll start to eat anything that swims soon so it should get easier :)