Musky Combo-which one??

Shimano-C3-C4 or other??

My brother in law wants to try his hand at Musky fishing. I offered to let him try my different set ups but he wants to buy his own. Problem is, he only wants one set to start! He asked me what would I go for as my "ONE" combo? Not sure if he casts left or right.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! I know what I like but am reluctant to make him do what I like. Anything to stay away from? Limit is approx. $300 for both.

Thanks, FT

As a starter unit, you can not beat the Bass Pro Shops, Pete Mania combo, well within the $$$ he has to spend.

After he has spent a season, and wants to increase his toys, then he can start looking at Abu, Shimano, Quantum, etc.

John

The best starter combo IMO would be a St Croix Premier 7' MH with a Abu Garcia 6500 C3. Almost every musky hunter has at least one of these, but it would be an outstanding combo for a beginner or a pro. Not sure exact price but It will be in the $300 range. A lot of guys will tell you 1 rod won't do it and they are right, but with the 7' mh, it will work for bucktails, cranks and small jerk baits.

Edited by GbayGiant