Hamilton/Burlington Pier

ufish2

I have a young son that wants me to take him fishing under the lift bridge in Hamilton, since he saw some people fishing there. I grew up in the area but never really fished there, I was only down there when the smelts were running. First off what side would be better to fish on the Hamilton or Burlington side and either east or west of the orange lift bridge. Also what can I expect to catch there and what should I be using as bait, keep in mind I just want my kid to catch something. Nothing better than seeing your kid excited about catching a fish !!!!

Thanks in advance.

The salmon will start moving into the area in the next few weeks. Rainbow trout will join them a few weeks later, then around November, the browns arrive. That just a general time table.

Casting hardware is a good way to while away the hours with your Son, there. Cleos are my personal favorites to toss. Lipless crank baits are good ones too.

Evenings are usually the most productive times, you'll find.

Now, it's hot high percentage fishing, imho. You have to put in a lot of hours but when you do hook up, you've got yourself a good fish.

Bring a long handle net and camera.

Also, the Burlington side of the pier was under construction and I don't know if it still is. Perhaps someone else could chime in here.

I fished the the Hamilton side a few weeks ago and caught a brown and lost a coho. Probably seen around 6 coho's caught there recently. So there fish there, just throw out some cleo's.....and good luck. You can also try some twister tails for sheephead.

Thanks for all the info guys !!!

Should we be casting into the actual canal or on the beach sides, I don't know if there are rules and regulations for casting and fishing the actual canal where the ships pass through ?

Thanks

I have caught sheephead on the canal side, but would fish the lake side as you are more likely to hooking into a trout or coho there. As for any different regs for the canal, no different than the lake. Just don't snag those huge ships. :)