Balsam Lake

Lakeshore

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what the fishing is like on the lake, what I can expect.

We will be there cottaging the second week of August, place called Hearts Landing, Coboconk.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I am up for anything really, I like fishing for Smallmouth/lLargemouth Bass, Walleye, Panfish, I have a couple of inexperienced anglers comping along and we will probably have to rent a boat, may have access to a fish finder. I will be the one most responsible for doing fish finding research and scoping out opportunities.

I would like to just make the week enjoyable as far as fishing goes, any help I could get would be very appreciative.

Personally I would like to get at a musky as I have never caught one of those.

I have only targeted Musky on Balsam. If you have all the proper gear, including landing and releasing gear, someone should be able to offer some advice. Apparently there is good bass fishing and some walleye as well. If you are going to be fishing with inexperienced anglers I would recommend targeting bass. I can't help you on that one though.

Edited by fishgreg

I have only targeted Musky on Balsam. If you have all the proper gear, including landing and releasing gear, someone should be able to offer some advice. Apparently there is good bass fishing and some walleye as well. If you are going to be fishing with inexperienced anglers I would recommend targeting bass. I can't help you on that one though.

Just south of Coby, there is good fishing for Pike, work areas around the red bouys and you will find them. Good to keep some pike if you connect and eat them- they are really delicious and may help in the fight against pike- the thought is they will have a detrimental effect on Musky in time.