Baptiste Lake

Hi everyone, I'm heading up north and am planning on fishing Baptiste Lake on Monday. I've fished this lake for bass several times in the past but I'm trying to get into musky fishing now. How's the musky fishing in Baptiste, are there good numbers? Or would I be better off targetting pike? I also hear Elephant Lake is good but I've never been that way and don't want to spend time looking for a public boat launch when I could be fishing.

Thanks in advance and enjoy the weekend!

I ended up in Baptiste lake by accident with a buddy, got a little lost since we started on Elephant. I know Elephant lake has musky the other 3 groups at the lodge we stayed at all caught a handfull early in the morning in the west end of the lake. We didn't get any, just Pike and Bass.

oh, and elephant lake lodge would let you launch cheap, but I believe it's changed ownership since I've been there

Edited by morieris

The musky fishing in elephant and baptiste has really gone down hill since the pike got in there. There are still some musky around, but they seem to only be few and far between. However, they are big IF you get one. That is a big IF!

Elephant lake lodge has a good ramp and docking. If musky is what you want, that is the place to launch. Fish the cabbage beds in the middle of the lake with big baits. Worste case scenario, you leave catching a zillion pike, and the odd bass. If your lucky, you will connect with a musky. Baptiste, being a much bigger lake than elephant, is much harder to fish, and they seem to be fewer in there as well. Better walleye and there are also lakers in there too.

S.

We spent a week on Baptiste a few years ago (our first time) hunting muskie. Only managed to raise 1, but it did not commit. Lots of pike and bass and even lakers in the deeper parts.

Be very wary of stumps in this lake. There are a TON of them and you must be very careful or you'll do some damage to your engine.

Good luck!