safety chains again??

sconceptor

Hey,

My princecraft trailer's safety chains were about one link per side too short. Also, the safety clips didn't totally fit over the gaps on the receiver. I went to HomeHardware to pick up something new, and went with 3/8" threaded chain links(2640lb rated) to leave on the receiver. I could have of spent about 30$ on a new chain and new safety clips, instead I spend about 7$. The links will stay on the truck, so I might seal the threading somehow. The safety chain will hook onto this 2640Lb class link using a "C" safety hook with a spring clip to keep it from falling off, and it will fit pretty comfortably. Do you the MTO would approve of this? My boss has threaded chain links hanging off his trailer receiver. Saved a few bucks, and I don't have "S" hooks without a clip.

is the rating stamped on the link or other wise identified? that is what they would be looking for.

a landscaper i know got tromped on by the MTO recently. his tie down chains on a machine had links identifed at the beginning and end of the chain. as the chains did not have every fourth link stamped with its rating, the chain was considered inadequate for the job, and fines ensued.

he had also used cargo straps with nylon webbing, and the webbing had several twists over the load. the straps were rated properly, but he was fined 100$ for each twist in the strap!

i dont really know the answer to your question, i think everyone would be speculating. just because your boss has it on his truck doesn't make it legal.

if you get pulled over, then you'll know for sure! tell us how it turns out ;)

is the rating stamped on the link or other wise identified? that is what they would be looking for.

a landscaper i know got tromped on by the MTO recently. his tie down chains on a machine had links identifed at the beginning and end of the chain. as the chains did not have every fourth link stamped with its rating, the chain was considered inadequate for the job, and fines ensued.

he had also used cargo straps with nylon webbing, and the webbing had several twists over the load. the straps were rated properly, but he was fined 100$ for each twist in the strap!

i dont really know the answer to your question, i think everyone would be speculating. just because your boss has it on his truck doesn't make it legal.

if you get pulled over, then you'll know for sure! tell us how it turns out ;)

That's interesting about having the 4th chain link stamped. I wonder if it's only for load binders. I checked on my new cargo trailer, no identifying marks.

I guess having twists in your straps could be related to not having knots in your shorts.. :devil:

Well just checked, some of the quick links have their SWLL, safe working load limit stamped on the side, the cheap made in C don't. The chains on my trailer have a little aluminu tag with the SWLL.

Edited by Fisherman

That's interesting about having the 4th chain link stamped. I wonder if it's only for load binders. I checked on my new cargo trailer, no identifying marks.

I guess having twists in your straps could be related to not having knots in your shorts.. :devil:

Well just checked, some of the quick links have their SWLL, safe working load limit stamped on the side, the cheap made in C don't. The chains on my trailer have a little aluminu tag with the SWLL.

ya they were load binders, and the comment was these are made in c and they are no good. haven't heard anything about them going after safety chain the same way.

it would seem regardless of quality or orign the stamp means everything.