Need some local help

tooffur

Success pending... perhaps in the future. I'm located in London, Ontario and have about another year at the University of Western Ontario as a student before moving to Toronto. I would love to land and release some form of Salmonid (apart from white fish) in one of the small creeks around here.

I'm not sure if it is the time of day I am going at (early morning or late afternoon), season (early/mid-summer), location (see the pool picture that I have posted below, if you know the spot, you know the spot) or presentation (#18 Klinkhammer and #18 Ian's Brass Ass by Ian Colin James).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pool.jpg

I know nothing about fly fishing, but I do well in the Thames with gulp minnows so mabye try some minnow patterns and have some fun with some hard fighting river smallies till ya find some salmonoides which are around but I have yet to catch one only been a witness a few times lots of smallies though and they are a blast in the river .

Also can't help ya out when it comes to fly fishing.... I know there's a great little fly shop right near the downtown area... used to be called Jeff's fly shop but I think the new owner changed the name to "forest city fly fishing" or something similar... if you don't already know the shop let me know and I'll find out for you.....

aside from some small resident trout in the feeder streams my thoughts are that you'll be hard pressed to get into many "salmonoids", especially at this time of year.... BUT there's all kinds of great fishing to be had, and right by the university. I lived in a fraternity house on Mill St. down the road from the ceeps and know a bunch of great holes that hold smallies, pike, panfish and tons of big Carp!!! don't knock old rubber lips until you hook into a big one! Anyways, Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Ryan

SRT8, The Ultimate Fisherman,

Thanks for the info. I've been able to fish for smallies around London and they are pretty fierce! I have had luck with rock bass, gar pike and smallies on Medway River (joins the Thames at UWO campus) and huge rock bass, sunfish, crappie and smallies on the Thames (near UWO campus and Edgevalley Road, closer to Fanshawe Dam).

I would really love to fish for carp, but at the moment, with my fly rod (3/4wt, designed for small trout and light bass action), I don't think it has enough backbone to handle one of these guys. I hear they are strong fighters and can REALLY test your knots.

The hunt for trout in creeks around London has so far been quite entertaining just based on the pursuit alone. I know they have been stocked here. I have had a conversation with a board member to confirm they have been stocked (but no location details); there is the Thames River Anglers Association that stocks trout on multiple creeks but these creeks are mainly surrounded by private property (access issues). I have talked to an employee at Jay's Fly Shop (not Jeff's, sorry The Ultimate Fisherman, but they closed down their physical store recently) and he suggested the pool that I have included a picture of. I have talked to people at Angling Sport (the other tackle shop in London) and they don't really have much information.

Perhaps what I am looking for is more of an acknowledgement that there are trout around London in the small creeks but I have one of the variables completely wrong (i.e. timing of day, season, location or fly pattern/technique).

Cheers!