Perch Festival

HUKDONFAWNIX

Just head out from the narrows in Orillia, into Simcoe and look for the swarms of boats. Most people fish the Simcoe side

within sight of the narrows. Personally, I try to get a bit away from the crowds so I head out more into Simcoe near the first drop off which is adjascent to the first set of islands to the west. There will be boats there too just not as many. Lots of people anchor when they "get into them". Good thing this isn't a post about Trout in a Lake Ontario tributary or all I would be able to say is "Simcoe" :whistling: You can also fish the Couchiching side sometimes too which is waaaay less crowded.

One tip to remember is that these schools of Perch do roam about and can be sight fished easily.

Good Luck.

Hookset.

Was going to write a post abut the Perch Fest but figured that give it time and someone would. There is a web site, just Google Orilia Perch Festival. Only thing is the site does not mention the cost of the entry fee.

Edited by pikehunter

Post from another site regarding the entry fee

"I called the Orillia District Chamber of Commerce today I had them send me a Perch Festival booklet, they were very helpful. Adult registration is $12 next year it goes to $15. Its been about 7 years since I was at the festival. We used small minnows the same as for ice fishing. Looking forward to going this year. Here is the Chambers phone number and web site. (705) 326-4424, www.orillia.com/perchfestival"

Edited by caper

So far as size of fish goes probably depends on whether or not the females are in shallow and ready to spawn.

Normally the dinks are all males (go figure). This will all be based on water temperature. When I find that the narrows are full of dinks I head out to deeper water to try and find some staging schools of female perch.

It's still a crap shoot though but don't forget, in the derby they tag little males as well as bigger fish so an 8 inch perch could win you a new boat :thumbsup_anim:

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset