optimax power issues??? Help:)

landry

Let me preface this by saying: I am not handy/mechanically inclined at all:)

I have a 75 hp opti that has been running perfectly since a complete warrantied replacement of the ignition coils - until last day.

• First of all - my battery has gone dead while resting in the garage for a few weeks twice now - battery is less than a year old?? I just tested the battery and the voltage reading was 12.34 V - is that a little low or okay?

• When I start the motor it fires up fine but at times I am getting a wobbly/weak beep instead of a solid one which is normal - low battery sign???

• Twice it stalled out/sputtered at low rpm's last trip - which it never does.

• When trimming the motor up and down last trip I noticed that the rpm's dropped while trimming - never noticed this before. This seems to point to a power problem but what do I know? Should rpms change at trolling speed when I hit trim button??

I have heard these motors are very voltage sensitive?? Is the battery the root of the problem or is it a fuel filter issue maybe - never changed it (owned motor for one year). Is the fuel filter easy to change by myself anyways??

Anyone recognize any of these minor symptoms?

Thanks

Landry

Bought a new battery - took it out and the same trim/rpm problem was there. Motor ran a little inconsistent/rough too it skips at low rpm's once in a while

Checked batteries periodically after ripping around full out for 45 minutes - 13+ volts sometimes and 12.5 others???? Finished at 12.7??

I dunno but what I do know is that the rpm/shift problem is new.

Last year I blew 3 ignition coils under warranty and I am starting to wonder if this problem is on its way back - before that happened I had a few engine skips similar to what I am seeing now.

Ironically, I have a Mazda MPV and it blows ignition coils all the time.

Landry

Just went through this with a 135 Opti. Identical symptoms. After an exhausted search, I found out that these motors are very sensitive to voltage fluxuations. The main connections must be clean and tightened down to the battery posts with a washer and star/lock washer and pliers/wrench. Not just hand tightened with a wing nut.

Hope this helps.

Tom.