New bait for deer!

Police kill deer inside Subway restaurant in Vaughan

Andre Walker was waiting for his bus in a shelter at Major Mackenzie Drive and Keele Street on Tuesday afternoon when he heard a crashing sound behind him and feared some violent event had just taken place.

It had.

But when he ran over to the Subway restaurant in Vaughan’s Maple Lanes Plaza where cries and shouts were coming from inside, it wasn’t the bodies of men he saw.

It was the sight of a young deer, lying bloodied on the floor, its head moving, and seeming to be attempting to crawl, Walker said. Glass was strewn inside the store from the impact of the deer crashing through the window and there were customers and staff inside.

“I’d thought maybe somebody had had a disagreement in the store and maybe threw something out the window,’’ said Walker, 18, a Vaughan resident and Seneca student.

“I never expected to see a deer,’’ said Walker, who was there when York Regional Police came and were forced to shoot and kill the deer, which suffered severe injuries when it went through the window. “You could tell it was suffering so they had to put it down.’’

Walker said he didn’t see the deer before hearing the crash.

Bruno Stirpe, who owns the property where the store is located, said one of his employees called him and told him what had happened. The deer had suddenly appeared near the plaza and “got scared by a car and ran through the window.”

Police were immediately called and were there quickly, he said.

No one seemed to know where the deer came from, Stirpe said. The area is well developed with retail and residential buildings but there are still pockets of wooded areas nearby.

“I’ve owned this property since 1973 and I have never seen a deer,” he said.

Representatives of his insurance company were on the scene Tuesday and Stirpe said they would be disposing of the deer’s body.

Police said there had been no prior calls reporting a deer in the area. They called the event “very unusual.”

Record news services