Wilmot Creek

Hi Everyone,

I took a drive to Wilmot Creek today after someone said it was good to fish, I found the creek by the Hatchery site and walked along it both ways but it was very shallow, 6 inches to a foot in places and no signs of any fish.

I then took a drive in to the nature reserve and walked along the path towards Lake Ontario and came out where the lake enters the creek, there were lots of reeds and the river was very deep and looked very nice and fishy.

Can anyone tell me if this is where your allowed to fish or was I in the wrong place/area, I also drove down Mill St South and took a look around the marina and the lighthouse.

Thanks.

Colin.

There shud be carp and bass in there... remember bass season does open for another two weeks... goodluck

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes the Bass season opens 4th Sat in June I believe and it was more the Bass I was going to target.

I was told they also catch Steelhead from there early in the year on float tactics fishing with roe bags..??

Colin.

Yes, during steelhead season you can catch them there at the mouth.. beware though, it is a popular spot and any time I have been there it has been very crowded. There is some nicer water if you walk upstream that isnt quite as pressured. There is also a very healthy run of salmon up the wilmot in the fall.

Yes, during steelhead season you can catch them there at the mouth.. beware though, it is a popular spot and any time I have been there it has been very crowded. There is some nicer water if you walk upstream that isnt quite as pressured. There is also a very healthy run of salmon up the wilmot in the fall.

Ok cool, I'll certainly give it a go, thanks for the help.

Ok cool, I'll certainly give it a go, thanks for the help.

No problem. The water closer to the mouth is very slow moving and when I went there for the first time I was thinking the water looked great for maybe some carp or catfish, so I wouldnt be suprised if there are some in there. I don't have a clue about bass though.

No problem. The water closer to the mouth is very slow moving and when I went there for the first time I was thinking the water looked great for maybe some carp or catfish, so I wouldnt be suprised if there are some in there. I don't have a clue about bass though.

Yes I was there today and it is very deep and slow running, there is also some nice looking water to the right of the opening which is surrounded by reed beds, looks very good for Bass and you could get to them in a small inflatable boat.

seen the odd pike in there too ...in a couple of months the browns will already be starting to come in .. then its all things chrome right up till christmas ;)

Hey Camillj,

That's cool, thanks for the info and will certainly give it a serious go.

Colin.

I haven't seen many bass in there, but trout, salmon, pike and carp are common down there. You were in the right area. Might be some smallies in there, I've honestly never tried.

S.

Hi S,

Thanks for the info, I did wonder if I was in the right place as it was in the Wilmot nature reserve but I found some photo's and it looked as though people were fishing from there.

Will give it a serious go over the next few weeeks.

Colin.

At this time of year carp and bullheads are easily caught there. Simple worm a few feet under a float could produce perch, drum and smallmouth bass. Throwing a #3 spinner might catch a pike. Come September salmon start showing up there and larger crowds of people. Good Luck :Gonefishing:

At this time of year carp and bullheads are easily caught there. Simple worm a few feet under a float could produce perch, drum and smallmouth bass. Throwing a #3 spinner might catch a pike. Come September salmon start showing up there and larger crowds of people. Good Luck :Gonefishing:

Hi ehg,

Many thanks for the info, I heard it gets kinda crowded early in the year for Steelhead and later in the year as well so getting there very early in the morning is a must.

I'll certainly give it a go for the Pike, Bass and Carp during the summer months and let OFC know how I get on in the near future.

Thanks again.

Colin.