canon eos 10d good camera

bow slayer

In my search for a starting dslr camera I have been offered a very good condition Canon Eos 10D for around 400 bucks including grip and bag.Is this a good deal,should I keep searching. Are the new rebels a better camera in line of picture quality? thanks for any feedback.

all i can say is go to a good camera store and talk to the salesman hold all the cameras in your price range feel how they sit in your and can your fingers reach all the controls. when i went to but my first went to but a canon but as soon as i held the nikon i was sold on it. Also look at the price of the accessories you may want in the future

no real budget but i really don't want to spend into the 1000's yet. Realistically somewhere around 600-800 to get started then see where it goes from there.I have always wanted to get into quality photography and once I am hooked the budget will grow. All I have to do is look at the 1000's I have into fishing gear and it started small 30 years ago.

The Canon 10D is definitely not the right choice... it's very old technology. (I'm a professional photographer, you have to trust me on this one.) At the time, it was a great camera, very affordable for what it did, and built like a tank. I rushed to buy it when it was first released, it was the third digital camera I had ever owned, and I was completely blown away. However, the new Rebels can outperform this old beast. There are always sales on a Rebel, which can come with a kit lens. Perfect for someone who wants to go a level higher than a point-and-shoot.

Check out some of the prices here... and keep an eye on the flyers.

Stick to your budget.

my two cents

The Canon 10D is definitely not the right choice... it's very old technology. (I'm a professional photographer, you have to trust me on this one.) At the time, it was a great camera, very affordable for what it did, and built like a tank. I rushed to buy it when it was first released, it was the third digital camera I had ever owned, and I was completely blown away. However, the new Rebels can outperform this old beast. There are always sales on a Rebel, which can come with a kit lens. Perfect for someone who wants to go a level higher than a point-and-shoot.

Stick to your budget.

my two cents

what do you think of these 2 packages

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Canon-Rebel-XTi-body-battery-grip-EFS-18-55mm-EF-75-300mm-W0QQAdIdZ289514962

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Canon-Rebel-XTi-DSLR-W0QQAdIdZ288017864

thanks

If you have a few extra bucks burning a whole in your pocket, it might be best to buy new...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/canon-canon-eos-rebel-t1i-15-1-mp-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-is-lens-kit-t1i-18-55mmis/10120034.aspx

Sale's on until Thursday.

Now, I'm not saying this is the best camera, or the best deal, but it's certainly an option to consider. You can keep upselling yourself by a couple of hundred bucks, that's why you really need to figure out what your budget is, and stick to it. Just like we all do with fishing gear. :)

Again, just my two cents. It's always a difficult decision to buy a camera, no matter what the budget!

Stick to your budget.

my two cents

What he said.

The 10D was (is) a capable body but remember DSLRs are like most technology. Todays bleeding edge, is next years dinosaur. You can do alot better with your budget. Look for anything, current or previous generation in the entry level lines that falls under your budget. If you get a steal, you might have room for an accessory or a better lens.

The thing to keep in mind is this is only your first body. You will replace/upgrade at some point. So you want something reasonably "current" that will last you either a long time before replacing, or as your learning/growing until you feel it's holding you back (upgrade).

With regards to lenses.

Depending on how deep you get into it, lenses can cost as much and more than bodies. Depending on what you start with don't be in a rush to go out and get more (thats a fast way to burn money). Use the time while your learning to discover what you really enjoy shooting...that will give you a starting point to "target" a lens designed for that application. Until you "understand" some of the nuances of photography and why you might prefer fixed aperture over a variable aperture for a given application ....Or why "fast glass" cost so much more than "slow" glass...what DoF is,...is "focus speed" important to you? I have lenses that are brutally slow (relative term) and lenses that are lightning fast acquiring initial acquisition....and on and on and on. But each and every lens I own, was purchased with specific applications in mind and are ideally suited (have certain strengths) for that "application". Yes, they often fill secondary roles or more and can be used in ways other than thier "forte"...

So until "you" have a sense of what those things are, and what's important (in the end most/all lens purchases come down to trade offs) how can "you" know what your willing to "trade off" for what you really "want"??

Lastly.

Glass last....bodies don't...(see above).

Worded another way....Your "bodies" will grow old get replaced/upgraded. Your glass if you take care of it will last a lifetime. Lenses are an investment and so you should "invest" in them.

Edited by JBen