Large Spinning Reel question

sconceptor

I've got a 4000 Symetre that's about 10years old. I use it on a 7ft heavy action spinning rod, with 40lb braid, for pike and larger cranks, river musky, etc. It's been skipping and stalling for a couple years. Last year, it worked for a day but started stalling up and seized after getting into a nice bay full of pike after about 4hours of use. I think it's from casting heavy baits, and wearing a gear out or something. I took it apart, lubed it up, and put it back together. It seems okay, but I don't want it to blow up or stall out after a cast to a fish.

I might pick up a new 4000 series Symetre just in case. Nice reel to have around for the heavy action spinning rod, pier fishing or carp fishing.

Does casting big baits with spinning gear typically burn them out? Is there a spinning reel with that's more durable for bigger baits?

Rock on!

Oh, I've got casting rods/reels......spinning is sometimes nice to throw when the arm is sore, or have in the boat for other guys who don't cast other reels well. I've got a few carfiff 301s, 3 chronarchs, 1 PT tour edition(not a fan of) and 1 older curado.

Out of all the reels I have, my Stradic CI4 is my favorite, but I choose not to use it for shore fishing. Instead I've searched for a reel that would take heavy abuse and still perform day in day out with tons of use. So far, the best I've found is a Okuma Avenger ABF40. Very nice reel, very cost efficient (scored mine for around $40).

When I bought it and tested it out for the first time, it felt like a much more expensive reel, performed flawlessly and just felt great on the rod. Only thing I did was take it apart and oil/greased myself to prolong it's life.

How long it will hold up to heavy use though I can't say because I've only been using mine for about 3 months.

I'm sure members will chime in with some good options as well, but I am very happy with this reel, and at $40 it can't hurt you to give it a try :clapping:

I've got about 4 old white stradics and they are my favourite for my smallie/walleye rods. I've got a stradic mg on a 6'3 jigging rod. I've got a diawa SS as well. None are spooled with heavy line, either lighter braid or mono or flouro. I wouldn't cast a 20$ lure that weighs 2oz with them.