A memorable muskie opener

pooch

A memorable muskie opener

I was lucky enough to fish with my cottage-neighbour (Dave) this muskie opener on Buckhorn Lake. He has fished the lake for a few years, and caught plenty of bass and walleye but no muskies yet. We hit the water early on Saturday to try and change that.

At around 9am we had our first strike; about 12 feet from the boat a muskie took a swipe at Dave’s jerk-bait but somehow avoided the six barbed hooks. An hour later we had our first muskie on. Dave hooked this one about 25 feet from the boat and played it out perfectly, constant pressure and letting it run when it wanted to. After a solid fight we finally got it in the Beckman net. We took a couple quick pictures and then released it to fight another day. With the smell of success still in the boat (muskie slime has a strong distinct odour) we quickly got off the water as an approaching thunderstorm rolled in.

5a18dd684da184ebdd0fcbd634be.jpeg

Cheers,

Andrew

Blog Post June 4, 2011

Pattern:

I was casting an 8” perch pattern jerk bait, but had no action. My neighbour was casting a 6” perch pattern jerkbait and had both hits. We tried outside weed lines and mid lake rock shoals but rock seemed to be key. Both the muskie came off rock in 12 to 15 feet of water.

What worked?

Lure - 6” perch pattern Rapala X-Rap

Depths – 12 to 15 feet

Rods - 6’ Heavy Action

Reels – Ambassador

Line - 50 lb Power Pro braided fishing line

Leader – 12” Steel Leader

Weather Conditions:

Overcast

Winds were 5-10 km/h from the north

Surface water temperatures 18° Celsius (65° F)

Air temperatures reached a high of 15° Celsius ( F°)

Edited by redsfishin

Thanks for the support! I think helping someone land their first is better than catching one my self, very fun.

Online that picture looks like the reds and greens are off, but nevertheless it was still a good looking fish.

Tight lines,

Andrew