Is it legal to target off-season fish with immediate releases?

It has to do with angling pressure and population density, not "ethics". Imagine the pressure on spawning fish if the kawarthas for example, had a year round bass season.

I see your point, but there is reasoning behind the different seasons.

well you would think there was

but the US side of Ontario and Erie seem to do real well with no closed season

in most cases it seems there is no scientific proof, they just arbitrarily set dates..it's like speed limits they just pick numbers out of the air with no reasoning behind it..

Locally, I've seen CO's turn blind eyes to people targeting sturgeon here, even though it's closed ALL YEAR

in many cases they use to have catch and release of the sturgeon, it was that new endangered species group that stopped the sturgeon fishing , no the MNR. even though all evidence showed the catch and release was not hurting the numbers

well you would think there was

but the US side of Ontario and Erie seem to do real well with no closed season

in most cases it seems there is no scientific proof, they just arbitrarily set dates..it's like speed limits they just pick numbers out of the air with no reasoning behind it..

in many cases they use to have catch and release of the sturgeon, it was that new endangered species group that stopped the sturgeon fishing , no the MNR. even though all evidence showed the catch and release was not hurting the numbers

Oh really? I never knew that, thanks. Maybe the MNR doesn't enforce the regs in this particular case because it wasn't their doing? For the record, its doesn't bother me to see people taking photos of sturgeon, and practising C&R, but it is stated in the regs you cannot do this in zone 5. I myself have caught 4-5 sturgeon, but I've never targeted them however.I would hate to see people keeping them though.

Last week I seen packaged smoked sturgeon at the grocery store? I'd assume that maybe someone has a certain license to do this?

FYI...while not abundant in Rice lake (yet) there are indeed pike in Rice lake..I myself have caught 2 in the last 4 years I've been fishing rice for about 15 years no pike before that though.

I don't want to hijack this thread but this needs said.

If you catch a pike in Rice Lake during any season, please retain the fish and notify the Ministry of Natural Resources, with the time of catch and the most accurate details of location that you can provide. Pike are considered invasive to Rice Lake and precautions should be taken to prevent their spread.

Please ensure that you have caught a pike and not a resident muskie as the fish are similar in appearance.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/images/ktd_sign_large.jpg

Regardless of how you view pike as a gamefish, it is generally accepted that they are harmful when introduced to watersheds where they are not native. In particular they have a negative impact on resident musky populations.

Muskies Canada and OFAH Invasive Species program would also be interested in this information.

Edited by Michael Brown

In both cases the MNR was notified. And pictures were sent.

I don't want to hijack this thread but this needs said.

If you catch a pike in Rice Lake during any season, please retain the fish and notify the Ministry of Natural Resources, with the time of catch and the most accurate details of location that you can provide. Pike are considered invasive to Rice Lake and precautions should be taken to prevent their spread.

Please ensure that you have caught a pike and not a resident muskie as the fish are similar in appearance.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/images/ktd_sign_large.jpg

Regardless of how you view pike as a gamefish, it is generally accepted that they are harmful when introduced to watersheds where they are not native. In particular they have a negative impact on resident musky populations.

Muskies Canada and OFAH Invasive Species program would also be interested in this information.