Wobble

HUKDONFAWNIX

Another question...........Does anyone know the characteristics of a lure that determine the amount/type of wobble a lure will have? I'm thinking this will help in the decision process when buying some lures for a specific species of fish. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Walleyes tend to like a lure that has a tighter wobble than Pike. Pike tend to like a lure that have a more emphasized wobble etc.

Any idea how I could determine this without buying the lure and testing it myself?

Or is the amount/type of wobble even that important???

Once again, all insight and expertise is greatly appreicated!!

If you are talking 'spoons' ; the deeper the curve, the more action [read wobble]. Narrow spoons with less curve, have a tighter wobble. I used to make my own from old table spoons. Its surprising, the different actions from different spoons. Thats my opinion anyway LOL!

Some general rules (from luremaking.com)

To run shallow and maximize wobble lure should have lip on large angle ( to the plane of of the lure )

To dive really deep angle should be small ( almost parallel to the plane of of the lure )

Square lip will dive deeper then round one

Round lip will increase the wobble

Or is the amount/type of wobble even that important???

The action of a lure is 99%, color/pattern really doesn't matter to a fish to much even if it looks good to your eye, but the water clarity will be the judge of the colors most days.

I have made quite a few lures. From my experience a wider lure body will give you more wobble the skinny baits will be tighter, also the wider lips will give a wider wobble, skinny lips generally a tighter wobble, but I have found the best wobble to be when the body is wider than the lip and if the lips a lot wider than the body it will be tight most times. Try to find some wood baits if you can, nothing compares in my opinion, I pretty much don't use plastic anymore, the wood definitely has better action if you can find any. Weight placement also plays a roll in the action but it will be hard to tell when your buying a lure. Also jointed baits are good if your looking for more side to side action. Nothing written in stone here, the only for sure method in time on water testing the lures, but the percentage of the time this is true.

Oh, and walleye and pike like both, tight and Wobble, another general rule, colder water early spring/late fall they like tight slow when it warms up go to big wobble faster running lures, once again nothing in stone, always mix it up if it's not working for you.

Edited by GbayGiant

One of my favorite crankbaits catches eveything, I learned of them years ago from my brother that used them on Lake Erie for walleye. I have caught L/M, S/M, walleye, pike, perch, sheephead and crappie on them. Some do work better out of the box than others of the exact same bait, a better searching action to them I think it is called. I don`t know the reason for it, but the lure can be beat up have the paint or plating gone and out fish a new one.

A lot of the lures action may also depend on how aggressively the fish are feeding and how close you come to matching the hatch, what they are feeding on. Had days when the little wonder didn`t work up north, but a longer lure with not as much wobble like a Rapala would.

It can pay to mix it up sometimes.