140 mercruiser starter issue, NF

vinnimon

Ok, for the techs, I have another question for you guys. When I replaced my started, the #s on the old one matched up at the auto supply shop and they had one in stockblink.gif . Great I took itthumbsup_anim.gif and cheap, not thinking at the time, that someasshat.gif put an automotive one inwallbash.gif .

Now here is where it gets interesting. I pulled the 2yr old starter out an the housing is cracked, great, no problem!mad.gif So I googled my engine for a starter #thumbsup_anim.gif Then I went to double check the teeth on the gear. On most sites the advertised an 11 tooth but I counted mine its a 9 toothwallbash.gif

Could this have caused it to crack? I dont have the formula in front of me and I know I have counted the ring gear teeth and wrote it down somewhere, just in case 3 yrs ago.wallbash.gif

From what I do recall the serial # starts with a 3. Which makes it an earliar model engine. For about a decade that engine uses the same starter. One short and one long bolt.

Thanks in advance

V

Vinni make sure you have the extra bracket installed ....two bolts as you mentioned then on the other end of the starter there is another bracket that gets secured right to the block...Just thinking out loud..hope it helps

If your flywheel is not damaged then you do not have the wrong pinion gear the teeth on the flywheel and the starter would be damaged. a cracked housing could be when you installed it over torqued the bolts or was not seated properly.

could just be that it got to hot from the heat of the motor, thats y some starters have heat shield

there can be a number of reasons that it cracked this is just a few.

But from what i got from my friend who use to be in the marine repair there is not a a big difference between a car starter and a marine.

if i remembered properly a merc is a GM motor