reel problems

purekgw

when i was recently up north on walleye opener my bait caster (shimano citica 201E) messed up, just after casting i was unable to get it to reel so after hand bombing my lure in i put the reel down for a few min and then tried it again and it worked.... but after that there was almost a crunching sound so i stopped using it. after sitting for a few days i finally pulled it out of the boat and now it is working perfectly fine no sounds or anything but would like to know what it was so i dont have another incident like that, any i ideas of what it might be? or did i just over heat it lol

Was it a cold day? I can`t really imagine some one greasing it up so badly that the parts would be slow to engage in the cold? Crunching sounds in a reel aren`t a good thing, if there is a tackle shop around that does repairs it might be worth having them take a look.

Did you oil the reel recently?

The tolerances between the spool axle and the clutch gear that retracts for free spool are very tight.

If someone puts oil into the hole, it can cause the gear to hang-up...This would "cure" itself over time, but reappear when the oil was cold etc.

It might have come with excess factory lube.

If you can remove the spool and wipe the crank handle side of the axle off, then reassemble it, the problem might be gone.

While you're at it use a Q-Tip and some lighter fluid to wipe out the centrifugal brake drum...Factory lube often gravitates there between the manufacturing date and the time it's sold.

I'm probably way off here. But did you check whether the line was caught between the spool and the frame? I have had that happen to me on my Scorpion a couple of times. The thin line just got trapped somewhere in the groove, and this stopped the retrieve completely as if something was locked up. Obviously once the line was pulled out, the reel is back to normal. Just one thing to check next time you encounter the same problem.