Crankbait tinkering and trials

So, sitting around having coffee this morning and itchin' for some bass fishing later in the day, so I decided outta nowhere to do some tinkering with a few chipped baits outta the kids tackle boxes, lol.

I had went out in the boat yesterday and found some pre spawn smallies, so the plan was to dink with these baits then go out and test em.

These are very crude baits, I wanted to try some color schemes and wanted to be able to remove the paint asap, so I used some nail polish(hahahaah) and some neon fabric paint, followed with some clear coats.

Got out about 6pm and first cast, a 25" pike! Awesome, thats was really cool. Move to the bass spot and get three nice smallies in about 15 minutes. I'm on to something here with the color schemes, lol. So I'm pretty excited.

Can't wait for my other supplies to arrive so I can actually start working on my hundred lot of various cranks from luremaking.com!!!

Chipped bait

May182011098.jpg

Different bait, already primed (not very good though, lol)

May182011105.jpg

Hanging to dry

May182011106.jpg

Black coat with neon eyes/stripes, fluorescent pink belly

May182011108.jpg

Finished with sparkles and clear coats

May182011110.jpg

Neon coat with black eyes

May182011117.jpg

Sparkled up and clear coated

May182011120.jpg

Drying again

May182011124.jpg

Lipless crank, black and sparkle

May182011134.jpg

One bass

May182011136.jpg

Another

May182011137.jpg

Guest gbfisher

I take it Bass season has opened for you?

There is a learning curve with the airbrush but you'll get better in time for sure.

I take it Bass season has opened for you?

There is a learning curve with the airbrush but you'll get better in time for sure.

Bass season never closes here :thumbsup_anim:

I've used an airbrush for almost ten years, so I have some experience. I haven't used one in the past 2 years though, so it'll take a little getting used to again. But, I've never used one to paint baits, so.... Yeah, I'll need lots of practise. Do you have any experience with this? Some pointers would be appreciated,

I'm sure I'll screw up a few layering jobs, lol.

Edited by manitoubass2

Very nice, manitou! But c'mon....you're in fishing paradise....they'll hit anything! Paint a lure up like a cigarette butt....I bet they smash it! thumbsup_anim.gif

lol, I wish it was that easy. It is paradise, I won't argue that, but the bass here can be famously finnicky, especially with water level changes

You gave me a good idea though, cigarette butt bass baits, lol

Guest gbfisher

Bass season never closes here :thumbsup_anim:

I've used an airbrush for almost ten years, so I have some experience. I haven't used one in the past 2 years though, so it'll take a little getting used to again. But, I've never used one to paint baits, so.... Yeah, I'll need lots of practise. Do you have any experience with this? Some pointers would be appreciated,

I'm sure I'll screw up a few layering jobs, lol.

Tackle underground has a few.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/

Nice!! I just painted a bunch up today...some silver, some flour green, yellow... i am going to get an airbrush...some great effects using those! Are you coating the lures with a tough finish? Envirotex works awesome but isnt easy to use and you'd need to make a rotating drying rack.

Tackle underground is an awesome site for lure making....i havent found any other sites nearly as good.

Nice!! I just painted a bunch up today...some silver, some flour green, yellow... i am going to get an airbrush...some great effects using those! Are you coating the lures with a tough finish? Envirotex works awesome but isnt easy to use and you'd need to make a rotating drying rack.

Tackle underground is an awesome site for lure making....i havent found any other sites nearly as good.

I'm not sure what I'm going to use for a finish yet? Still undecided on some things, so I'm gonna take my time and read through that site for ideas.

These baits were just whipped up to test color schemes

Yesterday and today they produced alot of fish though. Actually broke the rear treble hook today after landing 15 bass in about 2 hours. So, needless to say, I like the one color(glow chartreusse/sparkle)

Edited by manitoubass2

The only thing is bass will strike at anything at this time of year,no matter what you throw at them.

Super buzz kill :sarcasm:

Not necessarily true though. Top waters are out till the water warms abit, they wouldn't hit spinner baits and they wouldn't hit live bait.

We did smash them on a variety of cranks though

DT 4 Perch

may192011023.jpg

Shad swimbait on a jig head

may192011013.jpg