Pigeon Lake Walleye

jimmer

Was able to get out last night for a quick fish after avoiding the lake on Sunday. A buddy and I caught 4 walleye drifting across weedflats, using twister tails. One under the slot, two in the slot and a nice chunky one over the slot (58cm). Caught some really nice perch also. Where do these things go for the rest of the year? It seems every spring we get into these jumbo perch for a couple of weeks then they disappear. I found that we had to fish the baits slow to get the walleye to bite.

Sorry no pictures, too wet out to bring the camera.

Have a gut feeling these new size slots will help the walleye on Pigeon Lake.

Good to here you are following them. Saw to many kept out of the slot last year.

Jumbo perch are hard to find up there. Any big perch i caught were when fishing for bass or walleye.

Tons of big bluegills in the lake now can be easily targeted.

I still think that some are not following the slots judging by the size of some of the fish I saw on stringers on opener.

I think it's ignorance of the fishing regs. Everyone has to keep talking about it and the MNR has to post signs everywhere possible to educate those that aren't aware. Launch ramps, tackle shops, stores, trailer parks, cottage resorts, lakefront community boards, etc.

I don't personally keep walleye out of Pigeon Lake, because I would love to see that fishery come back to what it was years ago. I live on the lake and have been disappointed to see the walleye decline over the last 10 years, so I will do my part.

Panfish are way tastier anyways!

I still think that some are not following the slots judging by the size of some of the fish I saw on stringers on opener.

Unfortunately some are aware but still ignoring the regs. Last year when offenders were near me i talked loud enough for them to hear the new reg conversation. :glare: There eyes and stares would start darting, then they usually just raced off w/ fish in tow, to their cottage or whatever.

Back 30 yrs. ago i counted about 80 boats off the north end of Big Island fishing on a Sat. evening. Now there might be five or six there on a weekend evening. At least the walleye aren't being as hammered, like before. The zebra mussels and subsequent clearing water sent them off the rock reefs and into the shady weeds instead. If regs. are followed and with the lighter fishing the pickerel should recover well.

Good luck with the pannies Jimmer. :Gonefishing:

Unfortunately there will always be people who do not abide by the laws and what is equally unfortunate is there are a lot of people who for some reason think that if they own property on a lake then the rules really don`t apply to them, I know of several who fall into this category.

Having said all that the decline of the Walleye population over the last couple of decades is due in large part IMHO to the introduction of the Crappie.

The Crappie are thriving and the Walleye population is taking a severe beating. Personally I think that there should be no limits on both the white and the black Crappie.

I know "my" weekend lake used to a very good Walleye lake and a pretty good Musky lake but the Pike and Crappie have pretty much destroyed the Musky and Walleye fishery.

I know Crappie are caught in my lake in the spring and their bellies are full of Walleye fry!

I think the problem can be fixed but unfortunately it`s going to take someone in the Ministry with some stones to make some tough decisions, the most recent changes to the regulations indicate to me that I should not hold my breathe waiting for the right thing to be done!!!