Carp in the rain

frozen-fire

It was a toss-up between going for brookies with MJL, going for the few remaining steel in the rivers alone, or carping with Victor.

At first I was set on steelhead, but a last minute weather check convinced me to head out with Victor to target spring carp.

I figured it would be a nice relaxing outing. I'm not in any way an experienced carp angler. This is my 3rd outing ever, and I'm still getting used to all the gear and rigs used to catch these monsters.

My two previous trips, I was guided by MJL and he did all the work involving the rigging, baiting, casting, set-up, etc.

I just sat back and waited for the sweet sound of the bite alarms LOL.

On this morning, Vic let me prepare the setup I was to use. I've never baited a hair rig before and it was a very neat experience.

I was pumped for some crazy action seeing all these carp reports on OFC lately, but sad to say that our first spot produced nothing. Not even a bump.

We did bump into another angler who had a very familiar logo on his hat LOL. Nice to meet you Fang.

He went on his way after a short chat and we continued to wait for the carp to start showing up to our baited area. It didn't happen.

We moved onto spot number two. Vic says that this spot regularly produces 30lbers.

We set up and again wait for them to start showing up. It didn't happen. We both fell asleep waiting.

I saw one decent fish surface as I woke up. I look around and realize that Vic isn't in his chair. I get up and see him in the comfort of the car while I am in the rain LOL.

It didn't rain hard though. Forecast was bang on.

We moved on and checked out some other spots.

Eventually we settled on spot number three, where we finally saw some people fishing. We asked a fellow carp fisherman if there was any action and he said he just landed and released an 8-10lber.

This news lifted our spirits and we set up in a small open area. We cast out and baited the area. Within a minute or two, the long awaited sweet sound of the alarm caught my attention. Picked up the rod and was greeted with a feisty carp running straight towards some overhanging trees. Careful not to get the line caught in the branches, I horsed it in... probably too much though as the hook popped out when the fish was just a couple feet away from being in the landing net. Oh well. It wasn't a huge fish.

I check my rig and cast it back in the same area.

5 minutes later my alarm goes off again and this time the fish goes on some super powerful runs. It was pure muscle.

My arms got sore fighting this brute.

Eventually, we get it in the net and Vic brings out the equipment for safely weighing the fish (a 50lb digital scale and a light fabric sack with clips for the scale)

20lbs 6oz!

A new PB for me and it was a fantastic fight.

Fish was released and we continued fishing. Vic landed 2 more carp and we lost a few more in the rain.

Completely soaked at spot number 3, but well worth it.

These fish are so underrated.

antcarp.jpg

So does this mean you'll be spending more on a new set of carp rods, baitrunners, pods, alarms, slings, nets, bait, sling shots and other tackle? thumbsup_anim.gif

Go with the canned corn and uglystick. It's the ultimate set-up. Oh and I forgot.. ultra-point hooks. hee hee

karpthumbsup_anim.gif

Edited by karper