Wen't to Lake Aquitaine tonight..

Crush

I went to lake aquatain tonight..

Lake Aquitaine is a shallow 'lake' or big pond in Mississauaga. What you will typically find here is a crowded 95% immigrant family demographic with the kids fishing and many keeping all the minow sized fish they catch. I've been there plenty times and have never seen anyone catch anything bigger than a palm sized fish.

It is one of the free places with easy free parking that you can 'fish' and won't be harassed by authorities for not having a fishing license. Great if you have kids or family visiting and you want to take the kids out fishing without big brother.

Well once I could swear I saw a 10" or so catfish so it always stuck in my head that the lake had catfish. I tried with two rods, used new catfish bait, caught nothing. No nibbles. Nothing.

Overall I do not recommend fishing here unless you want to take out kids without big brother harassment.

Here is some pic of the lake I took tonight. Looks nice, but never seen a decent fish caught in the dozens of times I've been here :huh:

8bda364c.jpg

0fd383ed.jpg

3b4e3b39.jpg

Eight or seven years back this "runoff water mgmt system" held many species, like: brown bullhead, sunfish, crappie, carp, perch and the odd bass. One spring it even has been stocked with rainbow trout, which didn't survive mainly because of overfishing, but also because the water cannot keep cool enough during the summer months. (Excepting the carp and bass, I caught there any of the fish species mentioned, and I have spotted the other 2.)

Then something changed and there has been an invasion of "goldfish" - perhaps parents dumped their kids' neglected aquariums?...whistling.gif

Anyhow, three years ago I spotted the first ones, and they were larger than my palm. Last time I fished there 2 years ago and the water was swarming with white and bright orange "koi" that were not taking any bait, and after an hour of so I caught only one sunfish - it was so tiny that it looked like "a day old".

That was the signal that I am wasting my time and moved into other waters - after all, Credit River is just another 10 minutes away, and you can bring kids, never seen a CO and any pool holds enough chubs to keep kids busy in constant action. Where to? Churchville Park, Riverrun Park, Riverview Park, at the bottom of the hill in Rivergrove Park, Streetsville Park, etc, etc.

Edited by Danubian