Slimy Success!

pooch

Slimy Success!

Blog Entry - Apr 27, 2011

I got out last week for my first northern pike outing of the year. I like chasing these toothy critters early in the season partially because I get to use my summer bass gear but mostly because they are relatively easy to catch. Pick a great lake and a nice day and it’s a perfect way to kick off the open-water fishing season.

When I got the boat on the water I was a bit concerned that the water temperatures were not warm enough to encourage the pike to be cruising the shallows gorging on spawning bait fish. I find the most consistent action around 55 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit; this day water temperatures were about 10 degree less than optimal.

I decided to start on the deep side of shallow south facing spawning bays with weed growth nearby. The first hour or so produced a couple out-of-season smallmouth bass, but no pike so I kept moving. Spot number two was also absent of any hungry pike so I ventured back to my original spot since the water had warmed up a few degrees. The two lures I decided to use to locate active pike were occasionally a white spinner bait but mostly a jerkbait. I was not having much success on a moderate tempo jerk retrieve, so I decided to really pick up the pace to evoke a reaction strike out of any nearby pike. The first cast using this aggressive retrieve netted a nice healthy pike. An hour later and two more pike I was blown off the water by high winds and an approaching thunder storm. Encouraged by the late day success I have already made plans to go out again this week for a few more.

Tight Lines,

Andrew

Red's Fishin' Blog

861e808e41b4b0ad68316c3a1300.jpeg

What worked?

- Fire tiger coloured Rapala Husky Jerk

- Depths 3-6 feet

- Shimano Clarus 6’6” medium heavy, extra fast action rod

- Shimano Chronach 6.2:1 gear ratio reel

- 30lb Stren Super Braid main line with 8" 30lb fluorocarbon leaders

Pattern for the day: Muddy bottomed back bays with temperatures that were 2-3 degrees warmer than the main lake. Weed growth needed to be close; rock shoals and sandy flats produced no pike this day.

Weather Conditions:

- Cloudy with sunny breaks, approaching storm in the late afternoon

- Moderate winds from the south east, gusting to 25 km/h

- Surface water temperatures 46F rising to 50F

- Air temperatures 10C rising to 15C

Great report!

Like the details on location and approach. The south facing black mud bays attract crappies at this time as well.

Gonna try a Zone 17 pike lake next weekend and use these tips.

Thanks