registering my boat from the US

zman

Hi Everyone

I bought my boat from the US ,and yes thanks again for everyone on the board with the great advice and help on assisting me on this venture.

I have a few more questions. I paid the tax on the boat and motor at the boarder (HST)

I filled out some forms when I got home to get some new hull numbers to register the boat.

Will this be my ownership ?

The trailer I have 90 days to get the trailer registered. I have to call RIV to get is registered

and take it to Canadian tire. (correct? )

Then do I pay the tax on the trailer ? if so which tax do I pay ?

Keep your records for MANY years - see my post!!!!

You already registered your boat at Service Canada.

You need to finish the RIV thing at Cdn Tire - takes minutes (no appoint necessary). Then go to the auto licensing office and register your trailer/pay taxes/get plate. They know what they are doing. Bring your import forms/receipts with you and a copy of the U.S. title or trailer registration.

Then you are done.

Keep your records!!!!

Landry

I filled out some forms when I got home to get some new hull numbers to register the boat.

Will this be my ownership ?

No, your bill of sale is the ownership, keep a copy of it on board and don't ever lose the original. Check at Transport Canada/Marine and do a bunch of reading, it's good for the mind and then you can't say "someone told me".

As Fisherman points out.. a Vessel Licence is NOT proof of ownership. It should be.. but if it was that would mean Transport Canada would have to take larger steps to certify you really bought it when registering it (for one dollar and other valuable consideration) and their not interested in that.

You are also registering it in your name, even if you have a complete loan on the boat and why it's not an "ownership".

Edited by irishfield