Shore fishing river pike

manitoubass2

Manitoubass you almost got it but when there in post spawn they can be very difficult to catch. They are tired and beat up from spawning and the only way I can ever catch them consistently here in the river is with a dead sucker. No float just chuck it out and let it lay there. This will outfish a live sucker everytime. Like I said there very tired but they won't refuse a dead sucker laying on the bottom.

Manitoubass you almost got it but when there in post spawn they can be very difficult to catch. They are tired and beat up from spawning and the only way I can ever catch them consistently here in the river is with a dead sucker. No float just chuck it out and let it lay there. This will outfish a live sucker everytime. Like I said there very tired but they won't refuse a dead sucker laying on the bottom.

I'll give it a try, thanks again for the suggestions. Of course, I have to go catch a sucker now, lol.

Different gameplan today though. Head to the bay for some stugeon pics, then head up river to where a creek enters the main river. There is less current, mainly sand and mud bottom, shallow, from 1-9 ft deep. Lots of vegitation on the left side of the creek so this is where I'm going to start.

Now to start all over....

Why can't pike fishing be as easy as bass and walleye fishing???

I would have to say I too would try fishing the minnow and bobber combo. Never thought of a dead sucker on bottom but its worth a try. I would imagine fishing from shore would make working lures in shallow water more difficult. You can control the floats and position of the baits very precisely with a large slip float. I like bobber fishing and slay smallmouth every summer with this technique. Some people may think its childs play but its fun to see the bobber go down and its very effective when used properly. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you make out. Good luck.

I would have to say I too would try fishing the minnow and bobber combo. Never thought of a dead sucker on bottom but its worth a try. I would imagine fishing from shore would make working lures in shallow water more difficult. You can control the floats and position of the baits very precisely with a large slip float. I like bobber fishing and slay smallmouth every summer with this technique. Some people may think its childs play but its fun to see the bobber go down and its very effective when used properly. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you make out. Good luck.

It does, but after years of fishing you learn where everything is, how the current and water levels effect the bait and it's presentation etc.

I do fish bobbers once in awhile though, let the current take the bait around the area I'm fishing, but thats usually when I'm busy making a fire of cooking or something.

I'm gonna try the sucker bait today, see how it goes.

That reminds me of the epic Brown Trout thread BillsTheBassMan had going last year, where he could only throw a couple casts of one bait per outing before the giant would take chase and get spooked.

Yeah, that was painful and my last sighting was with the topwater mouse when I pulled it away too early :wallbash: He got spookier as the year went on and then it died and the season ended. Hopefully this year I get him in and ideally a picture or two.

I've been back to check his home a few times before opener (to observe only) and once on opener (rivers blown) and saw something suspiciously similar in the same spot . . . nice to see he's still there. It's safe to say that the hunt is on again . . .

As for your Pike, slow it down and see if that helps. Try the sucker minnow, but give it a few whacks first to make it slower/dazed. That could be the ticket. I wouldn't spend a lot of time blazing spoons and spinners and fast presentations through their area at this time of year . . go slow or mid-range at the fastest. One thing that often can work (and this is what LOTS of people told me about the big brown I'm chasing) is to try something completely outside the box. For example, I caught a good brown last spring on a gulp fish fry grub and a orange jighead. Sometimes it's just about throwing something at them that will peak their curiosity.

Best of luck and keep us posed.