motorized canoes

gil

Guest LivingLegend

Do whatever floats your boat gil, I like to go green which might not be feasable..............dry.gif

Edited by LivingLegend

Guest LivingLegend

Keep in mind that you can use the battery to offset the weight of the side-mounted trolling motor depending on how big the canoe is.

Very true good call, plus you have a range of batt's to choose from which could help with the offset.

Keep in mind that you can use the battery to offset the weight of the side-mounted trolling motor depending on how big the canoe is.

The weight of a side mounted electric trolling motor is minimal. That combined with slower speed makes using one a complete non issue on a side bracket.

The weight of a side mounted electric trolling motor is minimal. That combined with slower speed makes using one a complete non issue on a side bracket.

Depends....some of the minn kotas are pretty heavy if you go over 30lbs you will definitely notice it on the side

Guest LivingLegend

LOL.. where is the power coming from to recharge that battery Livinglegend???

Shhhhh, I patch into my neighbours outside outlet.........blink.gifrofl2.gif

I have a 1974 4 hp Johnson Seahorse on the back of my 14' Sportspal and it really is a great combination. I used to have the larger gas can (from Canadian Tire) but have since downsized to half that size, for I found it took too long to go through gas. (Yeah I know...not fishing enough :))

Have never used a motor on a side mount configuration, but as far as stability, Sportspals are the most stable of canoes, so at least you have that in your favour.

I was actually considering an electric attached to the bow to creep along shorelines more quietly than the gas outboard, controlling it from the stern with the foot control. (I can't paddle the sportspal worth a heck, especially on my own)

I have the exact same set-up (except its a Evinrude - which are WAY Faster than Johnsons...lol) and it works like a dream.

I have the exact same set-up (except its a Evinrude - which are WAY Faster than Johnsons...lol) and it works like a dream.

Do you have an electric on her as well? Sportspals are great but I find it tough to manuever them by paddle while juggling fishing rods.