Walleye opener????

fishingguy28

hey guys, i have been goin to lake nipissing for walleye opener for the past 4 years now....

i wanted to know some of your thoughts and recomendations on any other destinations that would have good walleye fishing aswell.... i go with some guys that are not "die hard" fisherman, so i am ok with settling for quantity rather than quality.... <_<

i was thinking of the french river but have not really been there at that time of year....

once again, any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I agree with what the other guys say, I have fished the French for over 12 years and just a handfull of walleye to be had and we have fished hard, mind you we drank even harder. BOQ is great but the boat traffic is wild. Callender Bay for me would be the place to hit northern Ontario 3.5 hours north if the GTA and lots of great spots to fish and if you want to drive into town for some guy entertainment and this is not a plug but the Mosey on Inn is there so you can see some eye candy at night and fish in the day.

Good luck

Ken

yea unfortunatley i have experienced the same thing.... i went to the french river for a week trip for 3 years in a row and only managed to catch a handful of walleye..... i thik if i went there now i might be able to catch more than that caus ei have gained a lot of experience since then..... but i would rather fish a place such as nipissing where it's almost gauranteed walleye!!!

The French is a little more technical when it comes to fishing spring walleye. It depends on water levels, temp., clarity and even volume. I have often seen boats anchored within 20' of us catch nothing while we easily landed our limit and more. Knowing how and where to position yourself so that you can work a back eddy properly or how much weight to use to get your bait in the feeding zone are criticle.

As Rick mentioned, we have fished the French for many years (taught him just about everything he knows) ;) and you could fish a lot of miles of river and never get a bite but find the right pocket using the right presentation at the right time and you'll have a ton of action.

I have fished BOQ also for many years, the river at Trenton has produced some big fish for us but opening weekend is the big durby down there and you can almost walk across the river on the boats. Not my idea of a fun fishing trip. We have fished further down in the Big Island area and had really good results drift fishing between Big Island Shole and marker 46. Again, it depends on the water temp. wind ....... Most years we have had no problem catching good numbers of fish the odd year we have been somewhat limited but never skunked.

Now, if I could only learn where to find the walleye in Sturgeon Lake in the spring LOL.