Which Burns Cleaner

Entropy

Anyone know which burns cleaner. Kerosene or Coal Oil (Lamp Oil).

I have a ' wick fed oil lamp' and use Kerosene in it, since it costs about half that then Coal Oil (Lamp Oil). Someone said that it is not good since Kerosene burns 'dirtier' than Coal Oil (Lamp Oil).

Anyone know?

Entropy

Hi Entropy,

Friends of ours have no electricity at all at their house, they use Kerosene in all the lanterns. On a given night there are probably 8 lit in the living area. Coal Oil does burn cleaner, (not as strong a smell). If you have your wicks all set right you will get a clean burn off of kerorsene as well. Cost savings wins out in their case.

They use reflectors behind each wall mounted light, which helps alot when it comes to the light they supply.

Cheers,

Jen

Jen, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one.

I get my kerosene from a gas station that has a kerosene pump, I think I pay about $1.20 per liter.

I only have 2 lamps one in the living room (use it almost every night, initially I was using it due to the meaning it has to me in it's family history, but I have come to enjoy it's light), the second is in the recroom to provide 'the characteristic light' while I'm enjoying a beverage infront of the fireplace.

I'd like to get a wall mount lamp for the downstairs bathroom. Mainly for decoration but also for power outages. Anyone know where I could buy one that is new?

When I was a kid the family would go to my Aunt's cottage, it had no power at all. There was a wall mount lamp in the bathroom there... ahhhh memories..... the kitchen sink had a hand pump to pump the water out of the lake, the fridge was propane and there was one double propane lamp in the living/kitchen/diningroom area. Good Times !!

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

No you are not the only one. I used to wonder why my friends never brought a power line into their place till I spent an entire weekend there. Fridge, stove, and hot water heater all run off propane, there is a generator that is run occationally to pump water up to the holding tank but otherwise, being there is the most peaceful experience. They heat the whole place with a wood stove and even have a country kitchen in the back of the garage. It is a different lifestyle to say the least... however, I never hear them complain about bills or go on and on about what was on the television last night.

Their debates are about things like words used in scrabble, the new monopoly game that is out or a recently read novel.

Enjoy the tranquility you have found in small things Entropy...

We could all use a little more of that!

Cheers

Jen

So, from a 1/2 hr of searching around, I have fournd that I can get a wall mount from Cabela's, and then the second place that has a good selection of affordable oil lamps is Lehmans in Ohio.

Is there anywhere in Ontario or Canada that sells this stuff???

Entropy

Kerosene is definitely cheaper but I like the lamp oil better and always buy that. Almost no smell and there are fragrant ones also. I always got my lamps at Canadian Tire and Pro Hardware but I haven't looked in the new CTC that opened this month. I don't know about the hanging ones, you could always get shelves made with a metal backsplash for the wall. If you do woodworking, you could sell us some. LOL

Pam