Steelhead Rods...looking for direction

archie_james_c

Well...I need a Steelhead/Rainbow rod, whatever the heck you wanna call those pretty things. I like to use quality rods for my favourite species, Walleye. I carry a few technique specific rods (light jig, vert. jig, rig, live bait etc), but Im looking for what is essentially the 6'6" Medium Fast action of the Steelhead realm, at a fair price (180-250$). I'm THINKING most of my limited steelheading will be float fishing and bottom bouncing (if anymore has anything to add then feel free). Rods I've been looking at are...

Croix Avids, Loomis GL2/GL3, Fenwick HMX?

I was thinking something in the 9'-10'6" length and 5/8 to 3/4 OZ maximum lure weight.

Am I on the right track? Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you looking for something that can be used for both float fishing and chucking hardware?

If by hardware you mean spoons or spinners, no. I can throw those with my Walleye rods if need be. I'm thinking I'll mainly be float fishing or bottom bouncing 3 way's. :)

I agree with Mike on the RV9, its a great rod but does not have that "feel" for bottom bouncing. You may want to get something in the 10' range so you can do both. The Rapala North Coast Series and Magnum Series are pretty good rods too. I have used them both for chucking spinners, bottom bouncing and floating big rivers. Prices are very reasonable; you can probably buy one specifically for floating and bouncing

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by justin elia

Best factory built float rod currently on the market is the 13.6' Raven RV9. It's a fantastic rod for the money.

It may not be quite right for bottom bouncing though, although certainly usable.

Just rigged up my new 13.6' RV9...

If your looking for a float rod archie the RV9 is mint!

Ravens Matrix lineup is also great for the price.

I purchased a 12"6 for under $200.

For bouncing I like my 9.6" St Croix Wild Rivers but I have used a few 8'6 and a 10"6 before.

Picked mine up in town for $149.99 at the trading post...doubles as an atlantic rod also!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Just rigged up my new 13.6' RV9...

If your looking for a float rod archie the RV9 is mint!

Ravens Matrix lineup is also great for the price.

I purchased a 12"6 for under $200.

For bouncing I like my 9.6" St Croix Wild Rivers but I have used a few 8'6 and a 10"6 before.

Picked mine up in town for $149.99 at the trading post...doubles as an atlantic rod also!

TDunn

i checked out a Center Pin 13'6" Raven IM6 at the Trading post today...very stiff graphite for only claiming to be IM6. Where did you get your IM9 for 199$? The Trading post had the IM6 for 179$. I'm liking the idea of a Raven for floats and a seperate rod, maybe a rapala for bouncing...

i checked out a Center Pin 13'6" Raven IM6 at the Trading post today...very stiff graphite for only claiming to be IM6. Where did you get your IM9 for 199$? The Trading post had the IM6 for 179$. I'm liking the idea of a Raven for floats and a seperate rod, maybe a rapala for bouncing...

Just to be clear it's the RV9 you want to check out, not the IM9.

I agree with Mike on the RV9, its a great rod but does not have that "feel" for bottom bouncing. You may want to get something in the 10' range so you can do both. The Rapala North Coast Series and Magnum Series are pretty good rods too. I have used them both for chucking spinners, bottom bouncing and floating big rivers. Prices are very reasonable; you can probably buy one specifically for floating and bouncing

Good luck with your purchase.

Is there anywhere online to buy Rapala rods? Im having a hard time tracking them down.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

haven't tried the new raven but i'm sure it's awesome.

the raven im8 13' 2 piece was my favourite raven so far.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Just to be clear it's the RV9 you want to check out, not the IM9.

Archie,

The RV9 retails for $349.99

The IM9 retails $250-$300

Matrix MXG retails $149.99

I have the RV9 and MXG. I don't have the IM9.

If you decide on Raven PM me.

Sorry guys! I don't see an RV9 on their site, just IM series and MXG's. Is the RV's a discontinued model?