Owen Sound

I've never fished Owen Sound previously, but i wondered about giving it a try this spring. Just wondering if anyone has any current info on where we're at as far as ice, and if it's fishable yet, etc.

I'm also assuming standard stuff will work -- body baits mostly at this time of year?

Happy for any advice -- this will be our first time there.

Coming from Barrie.

Thanks,

Kevin

Went for a drive today, guys were out on the bay at least 40 of them not sure how thick the ice is I never chatted to any of them. The fishing in the bay has died off in the last couple of years. Some now call it skunk bay however if your looking for a nice boat ride and the odd fish it can be fun. I hope to drop the boat in around the end of april.

Best of Luck

Strik

I was up there today just taking pictures and there was two guys out on the harbour and 5 or 6 guys fishing off the wall by the old A&P store....the guys fishing the wall had a whitey and a small bow....i dont know if the guys out on the harbour had any fish but i do know they didnt have any brains...i took some cool shots of them with the freighter and its open water and them in the ice hut not too far away....my buddy wanted to go out and chat with them ....but i told him he was going alone...lol...yeah im a wimp....but ill remain a wimp that doesnt fall under ice...lol...

If you go ...stick close to the Chichiman

Cheers

I was up there today just taking pictures and there was two guys out on the harbour and 5 or 6 guys fishing off the wall by the old A&P store....the guys fishing the wall had a whitey and a small bow....i dont know if the guys out on the harbour had any fish but i do know they didnt have any brains...i took some cool shots of them with the freighter and its open water and them in the ice hut not too far away....my buddy wanted to go out and chat with them ....but i told him he was going alone...lol...yeah im a wimp....but ill remain a wimp that doesnt fall under ice...lol...

If you go ...stick close to the Chichiman

Cheers

Hey did you see the guys way out by Leath now i thought that was nuts not sure how thick ice was but no way i was checking them out i was told the inner harbour still had good ice i never seen the wall or the inner harbour.

Take Care

I was ice fishing out past the lumley bayshore centre last week. My buddy and I limited out on salmon by noon. all between 5-10lb. Day before he landed a 17lb. and they call it skunk bay? lol

Excellent post. :rolleyes: (It never ceases to amaze me when people shoot themselves in the foot.)

LOL yes some fish to be found all that i said was some people call it skunk bay take a look at the local durby results during the last couple years and then tell me if my foot is still sore.

If you cant not get a fish during the first of they year good luck getting one during the summer.

Best of Luck all

Strik

People gotta brag - it's not a success unless you can blow your own horn. Pitiful.

jf

pitiful? lol, whats the point of having a fishing board if anytime someone posts their catch its "pitiful" and "blowing their own horn"? I was simply giving some helpful information to a guy who wanted to know what the fishing was like. I didn't see you offer up any such advice?

pitiful? lol, whats the point of having a fishing board if anytime someone posts their catch its "pitiful" and "blowing their own horn"? I was simply giving some helpful information to a guy who wanted to know what the fishing was like. I didn't see you offer up any such advice?

Yes it is a fishing board but offering up specifics is not only foolish (I'd argue stupid!) it's against forum rules.

"Please do not post VERY SPECIFIC information on fishing spots...."

Yes it is a fishing board but offering up specifics is not only foolish (I'd argue stupid!) it's against forum rules.

"Please do not post VERY SPECIFIC information on fishing spots...."

I don't believe I posted anything specific. I posted I was fishing in owen sound by the arena. and we caught fish. if you think "arena" is specific that's like saying I was fishing lake Ontario and could see the CN Tower.

I don't believe I posted anything specific. I posted I was fishing in owen sound by the arena. and we caught fish. if you think "arena" is specific that's like saying I was fishing lake Ontario and could see the CN Tower.

You couldn't have been more specific.....DOH!

I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you're joking with this statement; or have difficulty expressing sarcasm ... but I'm leaning towards 'dull'.

When to go with the boat Kevin is a tough call, watch the satelite shots and watch for favourable weather conditions.

30 plus years of fishing has only taught me one thing, persistance will pay off but don't haul the boat up too soon and don't expect too much your first time out. whistling.gif