Last Ice was Nice

pooch

Blog Entry – March 14th, 2011

Last Ice was Nice

The winter fishing season is coming to a close for me, but before the ice becomes unsafe I managed to get out for another shot at some great trout and whitefish action on Lake Simcoe.

I started the day at a spot I have had great luck on this year. I have landed over 20 lake trout and just as many whitefish in this one location, so it was an easy decision where to start most days. During the first hour I lost one whitefish and had a couple others sniffing around but it was really, really slow. Reluctantly I decided to pack up all my gear and change spots. Just as I was reeling up my last line, I noticed an arch on my sonar about five feet from bottom in 83 feet of water. I dropped down to the arch and was rewarded with a tug and a great fight to the hole to land my best lake trout of the season. I stubbornly stayed on this spot for the next three hours but couldn’t coax another bite.

See my video report here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVczhkH6XBs

This was my first year with a snowmobile and portable hut combination which allowed me to reach the trout and whitefish spots on Lake Simcoe. These spots I have been going to are about eight to nine miles from the launch in Beaverton; the walk would be brutal.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I am actually going to miss winter and ice fishing for once. No doubt that feeling will be quickly forgotten as soon as I can get my boat on the water for some early season pike fishing :-)

Tight lines,

Andrew

What worked?

- “Ty Rig” a 1/8 oz split shot about six inches up from a lively shiner and a #12 treble hook

- Norland Mimic Minnow

- Found the most active fish at 83.6 feet of water

Conditions:

- 8” of solid ice with 10” of slushy ice

- High of -2 Celsius and sunny

- South winds 5 to 10 km/h