Fishing Opportunities in Tofino, Abbotsford

stubbex1

I'm Heading to B.C. next week with my wife to visit my Father in Law. Were staying in Abbotsford, and heading to Tofino and staying at the Long Beach Resort for a few nights as well. I know there are lots of charters around there but I'm dropping enough dough as it is, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about pier or shore fishing in that area.

I'm not interested in stream fishing, i own't have the proper gear, I'm already bringing my golf clubs and snowboard so don't think i'll have room for a lot of extra's. Maybe just a baitcaster with a small tackle box. Any tips would be really appreciated!!!

K.S.

Edited by stubbex

You can probably find some rockfish along the shorelines. Just hit any rocky point of land, cast right into the surf, and be prepared to lose a ton of jigs to the bottom. Be very careful though, and for Gawd's sake watch your footing - it's not the kind of place where you want to wipe out. Big hair jigs in the half-ounce range usually work pretty well. You'll want to bring pliers, since some of the fish you'll catch have teeth like a Doberman.

Years ago we fished for sea-run cutthroats one afternoon at the mouth of a small creek near town. I seem to remember it was not far from the Tofino airport. I don't remember exactly where it is or what the creek was called, but I'm sure the folks at the resort could steer you in the right direction. Fish were all in the two pound range, so little spoons or spinners would be best.

I'm Heading to B.C. next week with my wife to visit my Father in Law. Were staying in Abbotsford, and heading to Tofino and staying at the Long Beach Resort for a few nights as well. I know there are lots of charters around there but I'm dropping enough dough as it is, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about pier or shore fishing in that area.

I'm not interested in stream fishing, i own't have the proper gear, I'm already bringing my golf clubs and snowboard so don't think i'll have room for a lot of extra's. Maybe just a baitcaster with a small tackle box. Any tips would be really appreciated!!!

K.S.

I was in Tofino this summer and I never noticed anybody fishing from shore or on piers.

Only seen charter boats on the docks. There has to be somewhere to fish. Maybe contact the resort?

Long Beach Resort looks sweettho! My dad lives in Vancouver and has stayed at the resort. He has said nothing but good things about the place.

TDunn

Thanks for the info guys, I'll see if I have any luck on the rocks. I've never been west of Fernie B.C. and I have heard good things about the coast, so i'm really looking forward to this holidaythumbsup_anim.gif Anything I should do to my reel besides rinsing it in fresh water after I use it?

Rinse the reel very thoroughly in the sink and you should be okay.

TDunn is right though, you won't see anyone fishing from shore. Most anglers there fish streams, or go out in the boat. The charters don't have to be expensive though, and really are worth every penny. If there's any possible way you can swing one, even for just a morning, do it - you'll remember the experience for the rest of your life.