Herridge Lake Report

Homer Is King

This report is a little late but here it is:

In September, 6 of us rented a cottage at Papa John's Place on Herridge Lake. The host were great and very helpful. The cabins were nothing fancy but they were clean and warm. Their rental boats were brand new.

The weather and the fish were against us. It rained almost the whole time and the bite was sloooww. The six of us in 3 boats caught about 20 fish in three days. Mostly small pike, and little smallies. The good thing about the cold wet weather was there were no bugs.

The most successful pattern was a jig head tipped with a small piece of worm. Even then you had to work it really slow, dragging bottom with it. We also caught a couple of pike on a bronze worm harness with a single blade, trolled really slowly.

The highlight of the trip was the back lake trek. They have small boats with motors set up at a series of lakes back behind Heridage Lake. You drive your boat, dock it, hike over a short portage and hop in the next boat. You then repeat for the next lake. 3 boats and 4 lakes later we were in a secluded "back" lake called Wasaksina Lake. We took our time and fished our way back to the cottage. It rain on us the whole day but it was still a great experience.

The fishing may have been slow but I still did OK compared to my buddies, I took "Biggest" and "Most" on the trip!

Despite the weather it was a great trip. I blame the lake of fish on the weather and the time of year. I'd love to do it again only a little earlier in the season.

Here are some pics of the trip!

The biggest (longest) of the trip, 21" pike.

P9250046.jpg

My best smallie.

P9250052.jpg

The only walleye of the trip!

P9250053.jpg

It's a small one but still counted toward Most!

P9250055.jpg

This one was a bit of a surprise. I saw the golden colour when it rolled near the boat and thought I had a nice walleye. Turned out to be a fat 18" sucker!

P9240028.jpg

Edited by Homer Is King

Thanks for the report !! I was looking at a place, as a rental/investment, on the lake a couple of years back. The concensus that the lake was pretty much fished out stopped my progress into the purchase.

LOL.. how time flies.. now that you pulled up the old thread.. it was 4 years ago I was asking.

Edited by irishfield