Turbo Hub Questions...........

bassjnkie

I'm moving in a month and the only way to get online will be the Bell Turbo hub. We will be using 4 or 5 devices with it. The flex plan is perfect for my online use, so I not worried about that.

The questions I have are: Does anyone use the Hub? Any issues I should be aware of? Is it fast? etc....... Any feedback on it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

No direct experience with Bell Turbo Hub, but have some with the USB sticks. Shop around between Rogers, Bell, Telus. Make darn sure that you know how long/ how many megabytes you are allowed in order to return it for full price if it doesn't work.

Reception often differs between companies in the same location. Do research into which one your new neighbours are using, or find some way (difficult) to test each at your new place. Try to avoid any contracts at first. A cheap dialup setup works as a good plan B.

I have an internet stick from Telus that has a jack for an external aerial (sierra 306)which boosts the signal(perfect when I am up north).Rather than the hub,I bought a D-link Dir-412 wireless router that my stick goes into.It is the same basic thing as the hub but more mobile and I can use the aerial to improve reception.Speed isn't to bad but it suffers during the morning and evening rush hours do to increased use of the cell towers.Bell and Telus use the same towers and signal,rogers uses their own.

vance

I have the Bell Turbo Hub.

Far faster than my old dial-up account. Local phone lines not capable of high speed so the Hub was my cheapest choice.

Sometimes heavy snow or rain can slow things down.

Check to see if you can get a decent cell phone signal (Bell) in the place you'll place the hub.

I've never had more than 2 devices going at the same time so I don't know how 4 to 5 at once will effect it.

I have one computer wired to it & the other one wireless.

Overall I'm happy with it.

Rick

First off, thanks all for the info.

No direct experience with Bell Turbo Hub, but have some with the USB sticks. Shop around between Rogers, Bell, Telus. Make darn sure that you know how long/ how many megabytes you are allowed in order to return it for full price if it doesn't work.

Reception often differs between companies in the same location. Do research into which one your new neighbours are using, or find some way (difficult) to test each at your new place. Try to avoid any contracts at first. A cheap dialup setup works as a good plan B.

I have an internet stick from Telus that has a jack for an external aerial (sierra 306)which boosts the signal(perfect when I am up north).Rather than the hub,I bought a D-link Dir-412 wireless router that my stick goes into.It is the same basic thing as the hub but more mobile and I can use the aerial to improve reception.Speed isn't to bad but it suffers during the morning and evening rush hours do to increased use of the cell towers.Bell and Telus use the same towers and signal,rogers uses their own.

vance

Thanks guys the internet stick will be my plan B. I like the idea of the router and stick combo.

I have the Bell Turbo Hub.

Far faster than my old dial-up account. Local phone lines not capable of high speed so the Hub was my cheapest choice.

Sometimes heavy snow or rain can slow things down.

Check to see if you can get a decent cell phone signal (Bell) in the place you'll place the hub.

I've never had more than 2 devices going at the same time so I don't know how 4 to 5 at once will effect it.

I have one computer wired to it & the other one wireless.

Overall I'm happy with it.

Rick

WE live north of the city (Tottenham area) and the hub was are only option. Not exactly high speed but far superior to dial up. Check with mother Bell if you can link that many units

Thanks, the hub will be on the top floor, were reception should be the best. Thanks DB, I was hoping it was faster than dial up.

Thanks again.

I live about 5K from Tottenham and my neighbor across the street has been using the Rogers Rocket Mobile hotspot and says it's been amazing. My neighbor next door just bought it as well and is very happy. I'm in the process of getting it my self. We all had ZING broad band wireless and it's as useless as a screen door on a submarine. You can use up to 5 devices with the rocket mobile hotspot.

check out the mifi thing from bell i had a demo one for a bit and it worked good.it'll run 5 devices built in router.rural internet sucks.

the issues with any cellular internet is wether and peak times will slow it down like when the kids come home from school it slows down.videos and netflix becomes painfull when it's snowing or heavy rain.

talk to a bell store i use skylar in brampton on hwy 10 they will give you a demo unit to try before you buy thats truely the only way you'll know how good it'll work

Edited by twofish

I live about 5K from Tottenham and my neighbor across the street has been using the Rogers Rocket Mobile hotspot and says it's been amazing. My neighbor next door just bought it as well and is very happy. I'm in the process of getting it my self. We all had ZING broad band wireless and it's as useless as a screen door on a submarine. You can use up to 5 devices with the rocket mobile hotspot.

check out the mifi thing from bell i had a demo one for a bit and it worked good.it'll run 5 devices built in router.rural internet sucks.

the issues with any cellular internet is wether and peak times will slow it down like when the kids come home from school it slows down.videos and netflix becomes painfull when it's snowing or heavy rain.

talk to a bell store i use skylar in brampton on hwy 10 they will give you a demo unit to try before you buy thats truely the only way you'll know how good it'll work

Thanks guy's I will look in to it. I talked to rogers and I'll call Bell later today.