Looking for a new fly attractor suggestion

flyfisherkirk

Hi everyone.

As an experienced spin fisherman, and a novice fly guy, I'm looking to attach a silver attractor to my tippet.

I've had plenty of success spinning to 'bows, browns and speckies

I think an attractor fly cast upstream has to be as effective as a #2 Mepps.

I know it seems weird, but can anyone suggest a wet fly that has the same attraction as a Mepps ?

Thanks for reading

The first thing that sprung to mind was something like this

DM_CCG_MylarMinnowB.jpg

but I'd probably tie it with the mylar body material frayed to form the tail add some white marabou and krystal flash to give it better movement.

Flies like this are best swung across downstream of you, they're hard to fish upstream effectively unless you want to run it under an indicator to mimic a dead or crippled baitfish.

As a fly angler think about it from a different angle and figure what food the #2 Mepp represents, say a minnow, and choose a fly that best mimics the local minnows.

Zonkers work very well.

Rabbit strip, mylar tubing, hackle, streamer hook and painted eyes - variations per the local forage.

zonker.jpg

Not my tie.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

The first thing that sprung to mind was something like this

DM_CCG_MylarMinnowB.jpg

but I'd probably tie it with the mylar body material frayed to form the tail add some white marabou and krystal flash to give it better movement.

Flies like this are best swung across downstream of you, they're hard to fish upstream effectively unless you want to run it under an indicator to mimic a dead or crippled baitfish.

Thanks for the reply. My post was vague I know. I haven't started tying yet. I'm still into purchasing flies.

Nice fly though. I might get me a couple of those. I'm sure down and across would work fine for Spring-run Rainbows

Thanks again!

As a fly angler think about it from a different angle and figure what food the #2 Mepp represents, say a minnow, and choose a fly that best mimics the local minnows.

Zonkers work very well.

Rabbit strip, mylar tubing, hackle, streamer hook and painted eyes - variations per the local forage.

zonker.jpg

Not my tie.

Dan

Thanks Danny,

Zonkers are always a cinch. And yes, it'll definitely be on my must-haves for this Spring

Fred