Outboard motor cowling

jigger08

Hello folks.I have a Mariner o/b with a badly cracked cowling.I am not sure what it is made of but appears to be some type of structural foam...don't think it's fiberglass.I have searched around for a replacement but have had no luck.Anyone here ever try their hand at repairing something like this.Epoxy,fiberglass...I'd like an idea as to what would be compatible before I try something and it ruins it further or makes any other method impossible to apply.Any opinions or experiences would be great to hear.

Thanks.

Jigger, I had the same issue after the marina cracked the cowling on my Merc when they were servicing it. They denied cracking it, but eventually I got them to admit to it and do the repair. I believe they used epoxy and fiberglass. It's not perfect or nice to look at, but it set well and does the trick. If you decide to go this route, you will want to let it cure for awhile and probably will want to do most of the work on the inside of the cowling so that it is not too unsightly.

Jigger, I had the same issue after the marina cracked the cowling on my Merc when they were servicing it. They denied cracking it, but eventually I got them to admit to it and do the repair. I believe they used epoxy and fiberglass. It's not perfect or nice to look at, but it set well and does the trick. If you decide to go this route, you will want to let it cure for awhile and probably will want to do most of the work on the inside of the cowling so that it is not too unsightly.

bluesky1713 Thanks for your reply.

If the cowling is formed ABS plastic, there is a two part plastic weld by Permatex which contains methacrylate available at Can Tire. Used it to fix a cracked kayak. Layer on glue, stick on fiberglass tape, then 'soak' tape in glue, using a piece of plastic to squeeze glue into tape. A couple of layers gives a nice solid repair when cured.

Edited by blue pickeral