Lake of Bays Sunset

BillM

Anyone else do this? Left the ISO @ 1600 for the ENTIRE DAY!!! lol I couldn't believe my 10-22 was clicking off such fast shots :) Ah well, live and learn I guess. Alot of the stuff I took this weekend looks ok, but as soon as you attempt to crop, the graininess is extremely visible. I won't be doing that again! Here's a decent shot from the end of the day...

5404557296_03a074d5ea_b.jpg

Lake of Bays Sunset on the ice. by billmarz, on Flickr

You should make a habit of setting your ISO first, before anything else. In fact I set my ISO as I'm putting stuff in my car. While I will likely change it later as light conditions change, by being in the habit of setting it before Ileave my driveway....its always ready.

Depending on the body you can get away with higher ISOs, and if needed can use different software applications to clean it up. From what i can see with the dimensions you uploaded cleaning it would be easy. Cropping will compound any artifacts, noise etc in the original. To each his own, there's no right or wrong but I personally rarely ever crop and when I do its a light crop, more a trim than a crop to enlarge a subject etc.

Cheers,

J

That's a sweet shot Bill. I like how the tones of the snow change from the distance to the foreground. More often than not, shutter speed is my main priority when I shoot. So I'm usually in aperture priority mode. If I'm not achieving fast enough shutter speeds, then I'll up the ISO. I know how you feel though. I've shot all day as well with an undesireable setting that I've forgotten about. It happens.