Interesting day at work.......

ckrb2007

As many of you know, there was a large train de-railment up in Severn Falls this week. As "luck" would have it, the accident wiped out one of our fibre optic huts so myself along with 3 others co-workers got the call to head up there and splice together a by-pass cable to get several high priority customers back up and running. I have to say, I've never seen such carnage. It was bizarre seeing rail cars twisted and torn open like sardine cans. Anyways, here are a few pics from the day.

Our crew rolling up on site.

p1020936a.jpg

Our hut took a beating.

p1020938a.jpg

Carnage.

p1020943u.jpg

More Carnage.

p1020950.jpg

Randy and I setting up our work area.

p1020956a.jpg

Me splicing.

p1020960f.jpg

A grain car....took them all day to vaccuum the grain out.

p1020976k.jpg

One of the many massive machines laying tracks.

p1020977t.jpg

That was my job on the railroad for 30 years....to re-rail freight cars and engines by either pulling them back on or lifting them back on...then repairing them once they made it back into the shop......made a LOT of overtime doing that but it usually was in the worst weather you could imagine.

I was the driver for our 90 ton Pettibone over the road crane and derrick engineer for our 250 ton over the rail steam crane. But I also sometimes worked as the cook when the steam crane went out. As cook I did more work but I always enjoyed cooking, plus I stayed WARM in the winter. :)